1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dubious Distinctions Dept.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hrodbert696, Jul 15, 2012.

1. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

So according to the Wire, one of those free local papers for advertising events etc., my state has the honor of having the highest per capita rate of beer consumption in the country. New Hampshire Yankees apparently go through 43 gallons of brew for every citizen of legal drinking age, compared to a national average of 28.3 gallons.

Needless to say, I'm working hard to do my part to contribute to this great honor for my state...

2. hrodbert696

3. I assume that's annual consumption. 43 gallons = 458 12oz bottles = 8.8 beers a week. On average.

Damn.

4. hrodbert696

Yes, annual. Thanks for doing the math. It makes my head hurt.

5. dj150888

dj150888

Feb 25, 2008
    Belfast, Ireland
    Pffft, I'm Irish. Known worldwide for our drinking. The thing is, the Irish reputation leads to the gauntlet being thrown down any time I'm out of the country....then my reluctance to back down from a challenge ends up propagating the stereotype.

6. That's not so bad...a beer a day, and and extra or two on the weekend. I do that on a regular basis, a beer with dinner is normal for me.

Different dubious distinction - the city my mom lives in (Fresno CA, about 45 miles up the freeway from me) once again is the car-theft capital of the USA.

7. Charles Manson used to be at our local prison- originally known as the California Medical Facility, it once housed mainly(trying to find the currently-accptable term here..)mentally unstable cons. Not sure if he's there now.

8. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Tampa receives more lightning strikes per year than any other city in the US.

9. Definitely

Definitely Banned

I have a book that has two of each state's more embarrassing dubious distinctions, but I don't have it on me. I will contribute when I get home in two weeks.

10. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg
    I live in Winnipeg, which is the coldest city in the world with a population over 600,000. We get -35 - 40F in the winter with windchills of -50. Summer temps will reach 95F and a humidex exceeding 105F is not uncommon.

11. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
  12. Pacifica could also be noted for being slowly eaten away by the ocean...every few years, the news has another apartment building that is about to/already fell off the cliff due to erosion.

Portions of 'Harold And Maude' were filmed in and around that area as well.

13. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Yeah, we're well back from that, fortunately.

14. I live and work on the birthplace of the United States Army's Biological Weapons program.

It's also the source of the 2003 release of Anthrax (the USAMRIID folks hate it when that gets mentioned).

Rumor has it that the Grand Wizard of the KKK lives in Frederick County, but I'm *NOT* ever going to try and substantiate that claim.

Flying Dog Brewery (nuff said)

Peace,
    Greg

15. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    :D Well said, my man, well said...

16. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem.

I grew up near St. Louis, MO, which consumes more BBQ sauce than anyplace else in the US per capita. It's also where putting a chocolate on your pillow in the hotel originated.

17. pmchenry

pmchenry

May 6, 2012
    SE PA
    I, to this day, have the worst foul shot percentage in the history of my high school basketball team. My senior year I averaged 11 points, 7 rebounds, and 8 assists per game(all very respectable numbers for high school ball), and I hit 0%(0 for 41) from the foul line. I just could never learn to make foul shots... it wasn't a problem at first, as I didn't go to the line that much. Then teams started watching tape and suddenly I was getting hacked everytime I went near the paint. Several times since graduating I've attempted 41 foul shots with my eyes closed and made at least one of them... it's really astonishing that I was able to miss every one during the regular season.

18. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Only 8.8?