1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dubsetp Bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Miki Aelian, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Manta Bass Filter

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Pro Bass Envelope Filter

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Miki Aelian

Miki Aelian

Jan 5, 2017
  2. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator

May 9, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    BEF has a bit more flexibility, but overall the Manta's the winner

3. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    BEF is bigger but it has 6 presets and sounds a bit better.

4. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Manta has distortions built in tho - a wobble with the hot hand wouldn't sound nearly as killer without some of that foldback or double foldback distortion blended in, from the videos I've seen.

5. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    For distortion is better to have a dedicated pedal as i always do.

6. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    While I agree for all general uses of dirt, I think having some available to be baked into your filter sound - especially for dubstep - just makes it convenient. If you'd never use that filter without that specific fuzz (because dubstep), why not roll them together =0)

jimfist likes this.
  7. Just be done with it and get an MF101 with MP201 and gated fuzz
    Job done ;)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  8. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    I own the Manta. Gets clubby stuff down flawlessly.

9. I couldn't get on with the Manta, I really wanted to as I know it works for a LOT of folk.
    I've been spoilt by Moog. The MP201 controller cv'd up to my LPF and ring mod gives me insane options.

10. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
  11. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    This is not always the case. An envelope detector wants a clean signal to be the most responsive. However, the filter itself wants to see the distorted signal so it can play with all the nice harmonics. This can be done with splitters and filter pedals that take in a envelope input, but Manta does all of this for you. In addition, Manta does very synthy multiwave fold back style distortions which are useful in this application.

Manta was designed to be a stand alone Dubstep machine. The only thing that can make it more intense is an octave pedal, as shown in the videos

Miki Aelian likes this.
  12. I don't have any experience with those. But for those who may have other pedals around I've heard some cool dubstep style stuff using different pedals. But never someone really putting all the pieces together.

I would probably go octave into fuzz then into a boss dd-3 or dd-5 and then try a wah pedal at different points.

The octave into fuzz gives you the dirty synthy goodness, the wah gives you the wobble vibe, the boss delay on the hold setting can get you the crazy glitch type sounds. So basically these two put together.

Driven Crane likes this.