Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

duck, duck, goose...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by deepbob, Aug 22, 2003.

1. deepbob

deepbob

Oct 3, 2001
    left field
    sawry not trying to spam, just a busy week...

>> duck, duck, goose (mp3)

[​IMG]

:bassist:

possibly our best overall mix so far, haven't tested it in the car yet.

edit(wr0): Parental advisory, mild language

2. deepbob

deepbob

Oct 3, 2001
    left field
    i just can't make my mind up on this one, dunno if the rushing after the rap section hurts or helps.

i can only really hear it when i'm listening intently to the bass line, and what i can't help but react to is that when i or others first hear this after awhile of not listening - that rushing adds some excitement.

gonna add some more lead guitar (erm, some period) to the low bits too.

please help me make up my mind? :D

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    It's a very peculiar funky tune.

Like most of your stuff, it has a great quirkiness too it, I really enjoyed listening to it, and when it ended I wanted to listen again.

As for rushing at the end, I guess I wasn't really listening for that, the whole thing worked for me.

I do think it needs more lead guitar as you mentioned, but I also think it needs more low end in general.

but other than that, I really enjoy it.

4. deepbob

deepbob

Oct 3, 2001
    left field
    first, sincerest apologies for the lack of content warning, an honest mistake in haste, but totally irresponsible.

next - much thanks indeed, your comments fill our collective heart with delight for they reflect exactly our aim. coaxing the words at betrays some profile of the intent.

hmm, tried to bass up the mix a bit, but have added a bunch of voices, human, a sneaky second guitar voice and a triangle. second half has some bs sound forge effects like modulation and delaying the whole thing, but it's minimal.

hit reload.

you might hate it, you might love it, /shrug - all we're trying to do is bring a smile to the face with some absurd reflection and some kind of unique groove.

bah, sorry fer the novel =p

:bassist:

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

hehehe, that's probably the most I've ever seen you type :p

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Great Stuff! (what software, etc do you use?)

7. deepbob

deepbob

Oct 3, 2001
    left field
    not really using software other than to do a final EQ and reverb on stuff (and to cut various file formats), or to do the kind of ensemble delays and things like modulation you hear at the end of this. but that's sound forge xp, their cheapest sound editor downloadable off their site.

we do tend to throw a bunch of compression on the total mix from here as well, with compression rates ranging from from 2/22 to 24/10, so far.

actual mix is of live tracks through a vbass :bassist:, vdrums, a triton work studio and a shure stage mic. i use "the cheapest bass" i could buy from a san rafael music store, pos 4 string dean (with flatwounds! hehe) and an even worse 5 string which has my v-bass pick up. we have a cute little acoustic/electric ibanez, a dimebag washburn and just got a new journey guitar that we're all excited about. we'll use a DrR770 for beats a lot too (anything not ccoming fro the triton or vdrums basically).

we run the guitars and the mic through the v-bass and have a wide range of recording possiblities as a result.

everything mixes direct into a VS880-EX workstation which is where most effects are applied to voice and strings (but the instruments themselves have a wider range of filters and effects so it varies).

record straight from there through a PC sound card into Sound Forge XP for final editing/versions.

and thanks for asking, i needed to write that out anyway :p

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    very cool. I've just started playing with midi drums and Hard drive recording (using Cakewalk). I'm still gathering up stuff (like I've no good way to hook up a mic currently nor the right computer connection for editing my j-station or hooking up my Yamaha keyboard).

Anyway, I dig your textures... catchy groove, it's infected my head

I woke bouncin my head thinkin... duck duck goose, duck duck goose, go ahead put your head in the noose. :cool: