Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Duck Dunn´s rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Oct 17, 2002.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Whats he using live and in the studio?
    I know he plays a Lakland Bob Glaub Signature Model. But what about his amps and cabs?

2. extreme

extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    I think he mostly uses an Ampeg SVT & 8x10 cab.

3. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    Rent the Blues Brothers 2000 and see that ladies and gentlemen he use none other than.......

PEAVEY!

4. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    He also has 2 GK 800rb amps as well.

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    My dad's best friend was his tech for two tours...I'll ask him when I see him tomorrow. :D

6. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I wouldn't be surprised to hear that he just rents a rig when he travels. Prolly supplies a "want list" to the promoter and they get stuff from a backline supplier. I've seen him use SVTs, B-15s, and GK stuff.

7. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Yes please do! He was on the list as a GK endorser/user for some time. Let me know.

TRIP

8. Most players of that calibre dont particularly care what brand of gear their backline is. They can dial up their sound in 10 seconds, regardless. I once had to organize an amp for Jeff Berlin and his specification was "I dont care, so long as there's two of them" (he runs stereo from his TC chorus).

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    His live rig appears to be whatever back line is provided. Probably the same in the studio. I've seen him play the Lakland at times but he also seems to favor a '58 P Bass he's had for years, as on the recent Neil Young DVD. The one with the duck sticker.

10. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Chris, Duck Dunn's tech, is here right now, and he says he always specifies Ampegs. He recently came off the CSNY tour, where he specified Ampeg SVT CL. He's played those for years, so it's just what he's familiar with. Chris said it really doesn't matter to him what he plays through, but he asks for the Ampegs, and since they're so readily available, that's what he always gets.

11. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey Trip, don't feel bad. Over at carol Kaye's site, she is a big supporter of GK amps.

12. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    I don't feel that bad. There WAS a purchase record at the factory for Duck Dunn. This was a few years ago though. On another note: Bob Gallien took bass lessons from Carol Kaye! Pretty neat huh! If you get a chance to see her play, take it! She's really great. Hey beef, thanks for the pat on the back! I appreciate it.

TRIPSTER

13. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey trip, you're welcome! I visit carol's site every day. She has been pushing the GK's a lot-especially for those who play other than just rock (her words BTW) says they're the best for all styles. I see that on her site all the time, anytime the question of what amp to buy comes up over there.
    Hey, about the 800RB-is the high end supposed to run thru a 4 ohm, or 8 ohm cabinet?
    Take care bro' :)

14. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    The high amp should always run an 8 ohm cab. Otherwise you are headed for a fatality. What would you think if we did something like two 300 amps with separate volumes for each channel as well as a crossover? Both channels would operate at 4 ohms. Would this be cool? It's just an idea. I realize that this is off of the topic. Send me a PM and let me know what you think.