1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Duck Dunn Doin' His Thing =impressed!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by mambo4, May 13, 2011.

1. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    a few years back I posted a thread asking for people to point me at some examples of Duck Dunn being awesome. His name gets mentioned along with Jamerson and Osborn when ever old school soul threads come up. But I never had heard Dunn tracks that stood out to me. (I foolishly titled it as Dunn vs. Jamerson thread, and the predictable result got the thread quickly closed.)

But now I have spent spent time with Booker T& The MG's Doin' Our Thing LP, and I'm happy to admit that Dunn is every bit as impressive as I had always been told. Blue & Green and You keep me hanging on have some pretty nice things going on.

Dunn is and object lesson in tasteful solid old-school soul bass. Color me impressed, I couldn't be happier to revise my opinion.

Joe Osborn , you're next.... anyone got some good listening suggestions for Joe?

2. for a great Joe Osborn example start at the bass solo in the 5th Dimension's version of "Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In", of course his playing throughout that tune is awesome as well :cool:

3. In my mind, Joe's most notable work is with Simon & Garfunkel. Specifically, Bridge Over Troubled Water (the album).

+1 to Duck! I just got Stax Profiles by Booker T and the MGs, and he straight kills on that album!

4. PDK

PDK

Nov 14, 2008
    Cleveland TN
    I am a big fan of Duck. I love the Booker T stuff. I may be wrong but doesn't he play on some of the songs on the Blues Brothers soundtrack? For years I always thought he did. It sounds like him. I may be totally wrong though. I always thought the bass part on Sweet Home Chicago was great.

5. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Yep, Belushi and Aykroyd got the real deal for the movie (and the touring band) including Steve Cropper and Duck.

John

6. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

Booker T. & the MG's (with Al Jackson, Jr, Steve Cropper and Duck Dunn) were also the studio players on almost all of the Volt/Stax recordings: Otis Redding, Eddie Floyd, Wilson Pickett, Issac Hayes, Sam & Dave, Carla Thomas, Rufus Thomas, The Staple Singers etc. The Bar-Kays were the session horn players. The Volt/Stax Review Tours featured them all. There are recordings of these live performances as reflected in these old b&w clips from a tour in Norway in 1967:

7. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    Links!!!???

8. PDK

PDK

Nov 14, 2008
    Cleveland TN
    The thing I love about his playing is the little things that he adds during the middle of a tune.

9. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
  10. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    + 1 They even mentioned him by name at one point in the movie :) IMHO, he is one of the most under rated bass players around. But, boy can he ever lay it down:)

11. etoncrew; hit this on the head with the great duo of Dunn & Jackson (on drums) add in the work of Blues Giant Albert King and your listening to a great section with B.T , Cropper, and Issac Hayes on piano, along with THE horns Stax style.

This type of simplistic playing is beginning to be lost!!!! These young man did so much with a minimal amount of chords & notes that the groove is largest with these fine players.

Jameson, Weeks, Dunn, Babbit etc. theres no number one, when your great your great and no ones in a race to declare a winner, the winner is our ears. Wonderfull players. Doc

12. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
  13. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Duck has a reputation as a solid pocket player with no flash, but he snuck a cool lick in on Hey Bartender from the Blues Brothers soundtrack. It's right after the last verse before the final chorus. I isolated a 3 second clip so I could repeat it to try and learn. Can't say that I can duplicate it. It melts in your mouth:

DD clip

Some tasty Osborn licks on this tune:

YouTube - Carpenters - Yesterday Once More( ORIGINAL VIDEO).mp4