1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

duck dunn over mustang (Mods?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by meta, Mar 12, 2009.

1. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    I've been viewing posts and trying basses out for a few weeks now, and was really going to go for the fender mustang, as it just has that perfect feel (for me anyways), and the tone was very unique, sort of classic, and I liked it. But I went in to Long & McQuade to buy it today and walked out with a lackland duck dunn... funny how that works sometimes, but I couldn't resist it! The feel was just a little more polished and had that heavier more substantial feel - and not quite the same as any of the jazzes I tried, although maybe I just never tried the right one... And the sound is the cellar.. sold me anyways. All my research for nothing lol;) The lakland is the one with the p body and the jazz neck - or at least some reasonable facsimile thereof...

I'm fairly new to bass playing (spent a lot of time on the keyboards and acoustic guitar, but have been playing bass for about a year or 2, so this purchase is my first "real" bass).
    The reason for this post isn't to just tell a story however, I am interested in anyone's story about mods they might have made to a lakland duck dunn, what kind of results they've had, etc. I don't really think it needs any mod, but I've always been amazed at stories that people have had of small improvements that sometimes give them a more unique and potentially better sound. I'm playing through a mesa walkabout (12) so I've got an effects loop I never use, but am certainly open to suggestions. What kind of effects would you recommend? I've seen that compression and maybe wah petals are kind of popular with bass players, but I haven't tried any of them (still just messing around with the gain knob on the walkabout).

thanks for your input ;)

2. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    Flatwounds.

3. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    A DD into a Walkabout combo sounds great to me! I own a Walkabout, a couple Ps and I'm a big Lakland fan, so I think your choices are excellent so far. You could try flats on the DD if you haven't.

Also, as Chef noted in another thread, cranking up the gain on the Walkabout can get you some nice natural compression from the preamp tubes. Finally, if you really like a tube-like tone, I'd suggest the VT Bass effects pedal. I don't own one yet, but I've tried it extensively and plan on buying one soon. It'll get you convincing B-15 and SVT tones.

BTW, feel free to post pics in the Lakland thread.:)

4. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    The only thing i changed on my DD was the strings and scratch plate. In fact i did that twice.

First Black
    263644821_gbJ5n-L.

And then settled on this.
    339808053_s3gq3-L-1.

5. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    That white pearloid on the DD is gorgeous..

6. Alienation

Alienation

Jul 29, 2008
    Midsouth
    Looks like you have lot's of room for basses in that huge estate. ;)

7. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Yeah, I tried not to get the garden shed in the background but it was too big :)

8. Aurel

Aurel

Dec 11, 2008
    Paris, France
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses & Framus guitars, Pigtronix, Aguilar Amps, Orange Amps,
    +1 on everything.

9. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Congrats!!! I think you made a great choice. Or better yet, the correct choice:smug: Nothing against Mustangs, I dig 'em, but you have a bass that will work in any environment.
    No need to mod that bass(although that pearloid pg looks killer), it is sent from the factory to offer a lifetime of enjoyment.
    Now, since you already got a great P bass, you can add a Mustang or _______ down the road. But don't do what I did. I went over 3 years without a P bass and recently purchased a Lakland Bob Glaub. I have no clue how I survived without a good P bass. Man, I love them.
    Experiment with strings, since that's about the only mod that beauty will ever need.
    Congrats!!!

10. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    I agree completely... ENJOY!!!!!

11. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    Thanks for all the input... Much appreciated. Ill try experimenting with thr strings.

Cheers