1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Duck Dunn With Albert King

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by david fitch, Sep 17, 2008.

1. david fitch

david fitch

Feb 20, 2007
    I am a huge fan of the Blues and love the two albums Albert King did with Donald "Duck" Dunn on bass. Can anyone recomend any other Blues albums Duck played on ?

2. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC
    Muddy Waters Fathers & Sons has some kickin' Donald Duck work

3. BWood

BWood

Mar 19, 2004
    Boston
    Texas Cannonball by Freddie King is a great one with Duck and I think Duck also played on Freddie's Getting Ready lp, which is also cool.

4. Briefcase Full Of Blues - The Blues Brothers
    Blues Brothers Soundtrack - The Blues Brothers

those are two I have were Duck is definitely in there...

5. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007

Hmm.....my memory seems to be that Carl Radle did the bass tracks on Getting Ready, though I could be wrong. Great Freddie King album on Shelter Records!

With all due respect to Donald "Duck" Dunn.

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    It was Dunn, but there a lot of the regular Radle running partners on there like, Don Preston and Leon Russell.

7. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    Makes sense, Radle was pretty busy in those days. I did some straight blues gigs with Don Preston some time ago, I asked him about playing on that Freddie King album. He loved the sessions, and spoke very highly of Mr. King.

8. Not strictly blues, but the two albums he did with Leven Helm's RCO All-Stars - one studio, one live - are fantastic. They lay out the template for The Blues Brothers Band.

9. kangia

kangia

Aug 10, 2008
    Heh! Another Duck lover. Try his sessions with Eric Clapton (Money and cigarettes, 1983), Blues Brothers (1978) or Muddy Waters (Fathers and sons, 1969, 2LP, with Mike Bloomfield). I like those.
    But he played with bunch of great musicians...not only blues..

Bass Guitar Place