1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Duck Dunn's Tone At Live Aid

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by p-bass, Sep 21, 2008.

1. p-bass

p-bass Guest

Feb 17, 2008
    I was watching the Live Aid concert on VH1 today and saw Duck Dunn playing Layla with Eric Clapton. Does anybody know what strings Duck used for that show ? I know Duck used Flatwounds alot but on this show his sound is brite and a little clanky. Maybe they are Flats but they sure sound brite.

2. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I recall a quote of him saying he used the same set of Rotosound flats for more than two decades on his maple neck CAR p-bass.

I could be wrong though.

3. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Duck has always liked a good bit of high end in his sound. He also digs in with his finger tips, getting some of the nail on the string a lto also, so that will give some more clank too.

jte

4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    That was 1985-86 ?
    If Duck was playing his 1958 sunburst. maple fingerboard P-bass.
    It was flats.

A few years later he went to "rounds"
    On his other basses.

He stopped touring with the 1958 In the early 90's.

5. david fitch

david fitch

Feb 20, 2007
    I have seen that footage and I think he was using flats with Clapton. I saw Duck play with Neil Young about five years ago and he played his 1958 Precision and also have a video of him playing with Neil Young from the same tour and he is using his '58 in that also.