Duct Tape The Strap?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Zirc, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Can someone tell me about doing this? I've seen it done a lot of times, but I don't know the details.

The new band I've been playing with says that if my strap doesn't fall off, I'm not moving enough. I've never been a fan of strap locks, so I was thinking duct tape.

Can someone that's done this give me some info? Is this a good idea? How much duct tape? I can't damage the paint can I?

Lets hear some stories on this, thanks.
  2. Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    You could damage the paint when you take it off, but it's unlikely, you'll just have some sticky stuff left over. If you really think your strap will come off, then go for it, it's your bass.
  3. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Taping is for those too poor or punk to afford straplocks.
  4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I may be wrong, but I had a tech that used to wrap duct tape around the end of the strap when on my bass just above the button hole to cinch the hole tighter (it's still there 20 years later). Is that what you are getting at? I don't know of anyone actually duct-taping their strap to the bass, although I think I saw a post where someone made a strap out of duct tape.
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Now that's some incredible logic :rolleyes:
  6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I honestly cannot see how you can duct tape the strap to your bass. The same movement that makes the straps fall off can also cause the tape to get peeled away from your bass. Duct tape will also make it difficult to remove the strap from your bass, and once you peel off the tape once, it won't be as sticky as it was before.

I've heard about guys fixing straps using duct tape, and even making a strap from duct tape, but never duct taping a strap to a bass.

Personally, I'd rather save up the cash and get strap locks.
  7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Nothing says "I disrespect my instrument" more than slabbing duct tape on it. If your strap is coming undone, get straplocks. If you want to look rebellious, like you just throw your instrument down on the stage floor after your set, then by all means, wad some duct tape on there, and let your finish be damned.
  8. HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Yes, it is. I mean, when I play a show I want to see my strap fall off so that mid-song the sound goes to crap as my Benavente slams onto the floor.

9. SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    I've never needed strap locks.

10. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    It was a figure of speech, not something serious, jesus.

I thought this was a common thing. I guess I was wrong and I must have seen something else. I picked up some straplocks today. I've just never liked the idea of drilling into my bass.
  11. I have straplocks for my bass amd duct tape for my guitar.
  12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That's correct. Professionals use gaffer's tape. It doesn't leave the residue.
  13. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Straplocks don;t require you to drill into your bass. They replace your existing strap pins.
  14. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

Btw: use deck screws and fender washers. Cheap (less than $.50 to outfit the bass) and reverible, and doesn't scream whatever everyone else says it screams. It's what I do. Heck I just find the right screws, put them through the existing strap pin, and put the washer between the felt and the pin. That way, if the strap breaks, you can still use someone elses strap on the front end of the pin, and there's no screwing and unscrewing like normal straplocks.

Versatile, and probably cheaper than duct tape.

MacGuyvering stuff rules.
  15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    In my expereince, the screws are ALWAYS shorter and smaller than the origianl ones. It's like a law somewhere. Which is bad. Because when you thrash around, it tears them out pretty fast.

Which is why find other screws that fit that are longer than the original screw, and fit in the straplock pin.

Not hard find if you just take the strap pin down to a harware store and start combing the screw isle.
  16. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Well, it IS common...at least I see plenty of punk bands using duct tape to keep their straps attached.

That doesn't mean it's not stupid :smug:

It goes along with the whole punk aesthetic of having beat up, funky gear.
  17. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    First of all, what they said was stupid. It's possible to move around and not lose the strap... but you may need to put on a bigger set of strap buttons to do it. Another thing you might want to look at is threaded screw inserts, as the screw itself could get ripped out.

In any case, I wouldn't recommend duct tape, that could damage the finish.

I'm also going to move this to Misc.
  18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I use a hot glue, duct tape, then a staple gun w/ straplocks. That strap ain't goin' nowhere!
  19. Speaking of duct tape, anyone buy one of them Ibanez Noodle models that the whole finish is poly-covered duct tape?

20. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    I have done the exact same thing as your talking about. I thought that if i put a bit of plastic on the strap, and move the bass to much, it would just snap off!

What i did was put duct tape on the slit where you connect the strap with the bass. I put the strap on, then wrapped llloooaaaaddssss of it around the slit. Then wrapped it with electrical tape to give it the 'electrifying' feel!