Dude, how high is your DB?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by chrismmc, Oct 6, 2004.

1. How high should I have my bass?Is there a rule of thumb?I did have it set pretty high,then I lowered it-so the nut is about the same level as my eye,this seemed to reduce fatigue in my hand,but it makes for a longer reach when playing arco.Is it just a comfort thing?

Here is another one...I am studying the Simandl technique,and in reference to "the claw",should I be trying to force my ring finger to stay in contact with my pinky?I have a wrist problem from when I was a kid...not what you think...
    and find certain positions painful.I try to keep the two of them together,or at least as close as I can,but they naturally separate-maby from years of playing electric bass-is this a concern,or will it happen naturally,or should it happen at all?
  2. I'll answer the bass height question, there is no fixed rule on this (unless you study Streicher). I'd say go with what's best on your left hand. The reach for arco will work itself out, just experiment until you find a nice height.
    I would also say get a teacher, they can help with these issues better than people sitting a PC and not able to see how your hands work. A good teacher will help you come to a place where the bass is comfortable, plus the risk of injury is too great to just see what happens. If you're dealing with an old wrist injury get a teacher.
    I'm rambling, it's been a long day but I think my point is clear.
  3. Chris, check the Newbie links and the search function.
    There's SO much info in there that it's redundant for us to just repeat it all......Good luck and as we say, welcome to the Darkside!
  4. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Eh? I thought Simandl left hand had the ring finger "travel" or be paired with the middle finger, but was only used to support the pinky when you used the pinky to stop the strings (i.e. middle and ring fingers are independent of eachother). Def find thyself a teacher! :D
  5. In my experience, I have always centered the height around my right hand. If my arco is comfortable and fluent I don't feel as awkward as if I had to tailor my right hand to my left. Plus, when my height setting is good for my arco, I find that I can move around the fingerboard the quickest/most comfortably. This is, however, based on my own/my teacher's technique.
  6. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    My bass is on the higher side since it leans more into me and I use German bow. I base the height on ARCO and that always is good for Pizz.

I am 5'9 and the end pin is about 7 inches out.

MY eye level is with F, just under the nut.

7. A good rule of thumb for DBers who stand is that the bottom of your basses C bout is between your knee and crotch.
  8. Actually,I do have a teacher...but he has been unavailable for the last few months...teachers have to earn a living too...
    The Simandl method actually uses the pinky and ring in conjunction,not the middle and ring-they share a tendon,thus half the strength.
    I have found the lower height better for my wrist than higher,although between the 3rd ans 5 position I still find painful...the injury I incurred tends to pinch the nerve when tensed...but I think that can easily be switch to another position anyway...but I will work that out with my teacher...I am just wondering how everybody else judges the height.