Dude, I broke a string!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Dec 11, 2001.

1. I was putting on a brand new set of Spector stainless steel taperwounds, 45-130. I usually tune my strings about three-quarters of a step sharp when I first put them on, to stretch them out. (Exception: round core strings. Can't overtighten those.)

Well, as I tightened the D string just past D, it broke at the tuner. I've had that happen when trying to tune a .008 guitar string to A :)D) but never with a bass string.

Luckily, the Foderas I was replacing still have some zing left to them, so I just left the Fodera D on there. The tension difference is noticeable, though: the Foderas are not taperwound, and they are compression-wound, so they have much higher tension than the Spectors despite having the exact same gauge. Now I'm worried about the neck...
  2. By the way, these Spector taperwound kinda suck. Lots of zingy! highs for slap, but the lows and low midrange aren't really there. The intonation is more precise than the Foderas I had, but the bridge is kinda worn anyway (I've only had this bass 18 months, too :( )

I'm only going to have this bass for a couple more months, so I'll probably leave them on and throw on a new pack of Fodera 45-130s when I go to sell it.