Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dude - need answer on this Epiphone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gweimer, Aug 6, 2000.

1. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Dude, I was wondering if you could answer a question about this Epiphone bass up on Ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=401776106
    It's been up before, which I'm sure you know, since you're bidding on it. Is that pickup an original? I think that it's a replacement, and I told the seller this before. Also, I don't recall Epiphone making any neck-thru's, but did do attached neck models. Got any more info you can share? Thanks.

2. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    I suspect the seller has confused the Gibson/Epiphone set neck for a nec-thru system. As far as I know, no Gibson made basses from this era (early 60's) were neck-thru. (The earliest being the T-Bird in '64.) The pickup looks original. The early EBO's (late 50's and early 60's) had the same black humbucker. I have seen a few EB0's from this time period with the same pickup at guitar shows.

Steve

3. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks.

4. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    That's NOT a neck-through...it's a set neck. The pickup looks to be original to me. It's an Epiphone Newport (30.5" scale). These were made like this one with two on a side tuners from 1961-1962 until the Newport got the "bat wing" headstock like the 34" scale Embassy which came out in '62.

I'd like to have this bass but won't go too high on it since it's a short scale. I'd value it in the $800 - $1,000 price range but as you can see he's not getting bids in that range. I'd really also love to own this '61 EB-0 that Bass Northwest has had for sale for a while. It' in the very rare Les Paul Jr. body shape that was only made from '59 to early '61 when they switched to the "SG" body shape.

http://bassnw.com/Used Basses/gibson_1961_eb0_cherry_red.htm