Dude, really, a Fender?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mantis Tobaggan, May 18, 2018.

1. Long story as short as possible. I played a Rick 4003 with my band for about two years and love it, still have it. Then I got a precision 63 AVRI and started playing it and have been playing it for the last year, love it too. A couple of times in the last year, I played my Gibson Bird.

So we play a gig last night, and this guy who comes to almost all our shows confronts me and says “Really Dude, a Fender?!” and tells me he much prefers the Rick because of the grind and if not that I should play the Bird. He was adamant and very much against Fenders. I smiled and took it in stride but he came up to me twice and said all this. I guess I will switch to the Rick for a while but I wanted to share this anectode and was curious about your thoughts. For what it is worth, I play in a metal band. I’m still shaking my head.

2. Play whatever bass you feel like playing. Unless the guy complaining is the person who pays you for the gig, you are under no obligation to him.

xoloder, ScotRFM, SwitchGear and 80 others like this.
  3. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Couldn’t agree more. Play what you want. Unless this guy is leading your fan club and buying tons of merch, who cares what he thinks?

xoloder, ScotRFM, SwitchGear and 21 others like this.
  4. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Manti, was the guy who came up a regular attendee of your gigs?

There is a saying in the Samurai book, "Hagakure," that says, "The advantage is to the onlooker."
    It's possible that the Ric sounds better in context of your band.

I recall watching a friend's band jam one night, and the guitarist, a lawyer with a big collection and an exceptional player, cycled through at least half a dozen six-strings in the course of two hours. One axe was a Joe Satriani Signature, and to my ear it blew all the other axes away.

5. At Sea

At Sea ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    If he complains again, well, there’s a reason God created the headstock.

6. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    A random guy came to me at a gig once and questioned why I played the bass vs “a real guitar”.

7. Garret Graves

Garret Graves Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Rosemead, Ca
    He’s just trying to restore balance to the universe. It was thrown out of balance because especially during the 70’s and 80’s and even continuing today, many have snubbed non Fenders with comments such as ‘maybe someday you’ll get a Fender’ or ‘you didn’t bring a Fender!?’ Etc etc

8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

funny! but i'm sure it must have something to do with age and/or genre: even the bass players i know don't give a wit about my instruments...the audience/fans surely don't...i never hear comment one about gear or rigs.

good luck trying to please the mass(es)! :thumbsup:

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If the guy has mentioned it to you three times at three shows, he may just have a point. He cares enough about your shows to keep coming back, and that counts for something.

BassFace13, shoot-r, rockinb and 18 others like this.
  10. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    There's no way I could go to all your shows, and even if I had, I don't remember telling you that...

... unless it was you I was talking to about playing your Ric more.

11. I once had a guy come up and admonish me for playing a Fretless on a rock gig. I pointed to the neck and said, "it's fretted, see!" He said oh, ok, it sounded fretless, dejectedly, then said, you ought to play a Fender!
    Again, I held up the headstock and said, "It is a Fender, see!" (It was a Fender Precision Lyte), he looked flustered again and walked away mumbling to himself unable to come up with anything else to bitch about. Me and the drummer laughed out loud about that.
    The ONLY people I let tell me what to play are my employers and that's only happened a few times.
    In the studio usually. And occasionally playing a real old school roots or RnB gig where I'd probably bring a P bass anyway without having to be asked, simply because it's the most appropriate instrument for the genre.

12. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Too funny, I had the same thing happen to me one time. I’m not sure what my response was, but knowing me, he is probably still crying.

13. That's the other thing. I have been playing Fenders all year and he noticed one time but didn't say anything disparaging until last night.

14. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    Probably an image thing as well? Perhaps in his mind a Rick and T-bird are "metal basses".

woodyng2, dmt, Charlzm and 1 other person like this.
  15. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Manti :)

Did you play the black P Bass on that gig? :D

The rest of the year you used the sonic blue right?

Maybe the guy is just colourblind! :laugh:

Easy to find out! Next time play the Jazz Bass!!! :roflmao:

greetings

Wise

That said, you can always rotate (playing a different bass on each concert can be funny too :hyper:)

Mantis Tobaggan likes this.
  16. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    That blows! I have Rics and Fenders and I switch back & forth all the time. I do have to keep a close eye on my EQ with my P-Bass to avoid muddiness.....

Wisebass and Mantis Tobaggan like this.
  17. I played the 63 with the 58 neck on it which I had not taken out yet. Somehow it seemed to trigger this guy lol

18. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Sounds like attention seeking behavior trying to signal bass virtue. I would make sure I played the Fender any and every time there was potential to cross paths again.

19. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    Ask him to sit in with the Ric and the Fender so you can here what it sounds like out front. That might quite him some.