Dude, you're getting a cell!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Just read that the infamous dude charachter on the Dell commercials got arrested for buying a small bag of pot. Not sure why, but I find this humorous.

NEW YORK (Feb. 10) - Dude, yer gettin' busted! The actor who gained fame and a cult following as the slacker ''Steven'' in commercials for Dell computers was arrested buying a small bag of marijuana, police said.

Benjamin Curtis, a 22-year-old New York University drama student, was arraigned Monday on a misdemeanor drug possession charge. The charge assumes a suspect is not carrying more than a ''use amount'' - enough to roll several marijuana cigarettes.

Police said he was arrested Sunday night on the Lower East Side after officers on a drug detail spotted him buying a small bag of marijuana from Omar Mendez, 19. Mendez faces drug sale and possession charges.

Curtis' portrayal of a surfer type who proclaims, ''Dude, yer gettin' a Dell!'' drove up computer sales and spawned T-shirts, caps, and backpacks, along with Web sites and online fan clubs.

At the arraignment, Criminal Court Judge Ellen Coin advised Curtis that his case will be dismissed, and his record expunged, if he avoids arrest during the next year.

Asked if he understood, Curtis said, ''Yes, ma'am.''

Outside court, Curtis' lawyer, James Moschella, said: ''We are confident that at the appropriate time, the charges will be dismissed.''

A spokesman for Texas-based Dell said no decision has been made on Curtis' future promoting the company.

''We are following the situation and really trying to understand what happened here,'' Venancio Figueroa said.
  2. Looks like he's ready for his "E!:True Hollywood Story" episode.
  3. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    It's obvious he was portraying someone who was stoned anyways, in the commercials.

4. supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Maybe he just got the pot to research for the role (no pun intended), alla Wynona Rider.
  5. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i'm not taking credit for this one, but i have to share it anyways:

"But, I always thought marijuana was a Gateway drug."

:D :bassist:
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    too funny. good one :D
  7. odie

odie Supporting Member

I have no idea why this is considered news worthy!!

Not ripping on you AN. Its everywhere on the news and I dont see why it is?:confused: Heck I didnt even know the characters name was Steven or Steve or Steve-o
  8. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

because america is a country run by celebrities.
  9. Well, allt they have to do now is cage in all the other people who work for Dell...maybe compaq and gateway too, and start building REAL compuers instead...
  10. 1960s Batman show voice on:

Batman: " Another promising young career cut short by foolishly seeking the empty promises delivered by illegal substances. Poor, disillisioned youth."

Robin: " Holy five finger Charlie, Batman! That's never going to happen to me! I'm going to stay in the Batcave on weekends and study my algebra and Latin!"

Mike :D