Duesenberg D-Bass mini review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fing3rs, Sep 4, 2010.

1. fing3rs

fing3rs fing3rs

Sep 6, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    I had 30 minutes to kill tonight so ran up to BAM (Bellevue American Music) to play a Duesenberg bass before they closed.

They didn't have the Paul McCartney Violin bass or the Semi-hollow Hagstromish bass.

They had 1 D-Bass [4-string]. It is "really" nice and smooth to play. It is long scale so the strings are very; no flubbiness here at all. You don't have to dig in to get a great tone. This is a nice bass for someone that wants a great tone but has a light touch. (Gary Willis'ish) String spacing was optimal to me. Neck(Maple) is solid (bolt-on) seemed thin, but I am a 5 player [Lakland 55-02]

Here are some specs from their website and a link.
    //
    http://www.duesenberg.de/
    Another exclusive feature is the novel "mid shape" control, allowing a seemless fade from J- to P-Bass character with only one pair of Duesenberg "Toaster" bass humbuckers.
    Features & Specifications:

* 86.4cm scale hardrock maple neck
    * "hidden-bolt-on" neck joint
    * contoured US Alder Body with binding
    * fully adjustable brass bridge, nickel plated
    * Duesenberg "Toaster" bass humbucker
    * 1 volume, 1 tone, 1 "mid shape"
    * Z-tuners with 3-step buttons
    //

Bass was $3,300 but I think it is 15% off this weekend (Labor Day).

I would say the bass is perfect for a guy who is playing in a working cover tunes band and is lugging a P and J bass around and wants to consolidate. I can get pretty close to a P and J on my Lakland 55-02 but they were more readily evident and easy to achieve strictly with the D-Bass controls and the amp flat. So, it really is like buying a high quality Jazz and a high quality P-Bass. Which means, maybe the $3,300 is not so bad. If I liked it, (which I don't - I like maple fretboards and prefer the satin finish of a Lakland neck) picking one up for around $1,800 used would be cool.

Oh, and I was playing it through a Fender Rumble 15" with all the Tone/EQs set to flat. And the main EQ pattern set to bump up at 100 or 50 I think (given the picture). At any rate, I wasn't using the scoop setting.

Overall, it's a great bass. I have other basses on my mind right now for the future - like a 5-string fretless Warwick Streamer, and a mid-70's Rickenbacker. Don't have the $ for either... but they are on my mind. If I ever got tired of my Lakland 55-02 (doubtful) and I ran across a good deal/trade on a 5-string D-Bass I would definitely consider it.

Hope this helps someone.:bassist:

2. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Thanks for the review...I've been curious about this one. I've played the violin bass and love it (like I need another Beatle bass). Would you say it has something closer to a vintage or modern tone? Or something all it's own? There is one coming to the shop I go to and I'd like something to compliment my Nash P.

3. TigerClaw

TigerClaw

Sep 12, 2009
    Ft. Worth Texas
    This bass looks pretty cool.

4. fing3rs

fing3rs fing3rs

Sep 6, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    You know. It's hard for me to tell if it's a vintage P- or J- bass tone without playing it through an Ampeg SVT-whatever. But, through the Rumble it sounded more modern to me.

5. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    Real Cool Website.................................:cool:

6. Kreken

Kreken

Oct 27, 2010
    Norway
    Endorsing Artist: Darkglass pedals
    Sorry about the late reply, but I found these cool sound clips on a Norwegian web site.

Sound clip 1(Lydeksempel 1) is the D-bass with backing tracks
    Sound clip 2 is the D-bass with drums only
    Sound clip 3 is the Ibanez Jet King with backing tracks

Man, that D-bass has got balls... :bassist:

musikkweb.no/html/news/142538525.html

7. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Dave had one at Killer Vintage...wowza!!!! It had tone tone tone. Fat and growly to dub to thumpy. Super easy to play. If they weren't so bloody expensive.:bassist:

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021