Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Duff McKagan (EX-Guns n' Roses)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by morty25, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Could any one tell me if duff was any good on bass. What equipment did he use?? Doesnt he play guitar aswell??

thanks morty

[​IMG]

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    uh, he sucked. the internet scuttlebut on the recording newsgroups at the time was that he was so bad that they had to digitally edit practically every note. i've seen them twice, and he was useless- couldn't keep time with a rollex.

3. FWIW he's played on a few other things besides GN'R eg Iggy Pop's Brick by Brick album- including the single "home", also the Mad for the racket project with MC5's Wayne Kramer and The Damned's Brian James- and Blondie's Clem Burke/The Police's Stewart Copeland on drums- so I assume his timing was together for that;) (and I don't think they'd have had the time or budget to do digital editing on the bass on that project).

4. He plays many instrumens. On his solo cd (named "believe in me") he plays all instruments on some songs.

5. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Duff sucked as a bassist. I wouldn't be surprised if Slash played bass on their albums. As for Duff playing guitar "aswell," well, first you should know that "aswell" is two words. And I think he was originally a guitarist anyway who moved to bass.

6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
  7. I know he used galien krueger amp, yeh.........he sucked if you want to idolise him then don't because well he sucked yes sucked.
    He was bad.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'll never forget the year 'Appetite' came out, Rolling Stone named him 'Bassist of the year'.:rolleyes:

9. I hope they didn't get magazine of the year!:rolleyes:

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

:confused: Hell, I thought this was the "Bassists" column (why is Mikey McKagan's name being mentioned here???) :confused: .......poser in the all-time a-hole band of all time, Buns & Poses.

BTW, "Rolling Stone" magazine hasn't been relevant to music for decades, (as you probably already noticed).

11. cone

cone Guest

Oct 13, 2001
    Georgia
    OMG, i cant believe yall are bashing guns and roses, best band of all time:mad:

12. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, my lofty opinion of his "skills" is based on seeing him perform 2x. to say it was uncomfortably embarrassing is an understatement. he looked like a fool both times.

13. rickbass

Well, believe it cone. Music is an art, (as you know), and art is all about taste.

You're a pretty young guy and your tastes will change over time as you learn more about the instrument, the great players, and music in general.

So, stick to your guns --- if you dig him, that's fine. But, I'd bet money your opinion will change in time.
    If not, perhaps a career in the theater will be more up your alley.........because ol' Duffy sure tried to act like he could play bass :D

14. embellisher

Yeah, who ever played 'Sweet child o' mine' in the studio came up with a great part. I wonder who did play bass on that one.

15. rickbass

Carol Kaye - just ask her :D

16. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    thread edited by Cassanova for rules and regulations violations, disrespect to other memebers

17. embellisher

DOH!:p

18. embellisher

What are you talking about?

19. Yeh i think CArcas is a fan of duff or maybe in fact is duff.

20. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'm sure duff played the lines on sweet child o'mine. i'm also fairly sure that they experienced a great deal of digital editing and clean up before the album was finished.