Duff McKagan(guns n' roses)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Duff_McKagan16, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Is anyone else in love in McKagan 's bass lines. they are great!
  2. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    I like em, are you a big fan by any chance?;)
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I didn't know they came from Slovenia! ;)

But what has this got to do with "Basses" ?
  4. I haven't heard too much G&R but from what I have, he backs Slash up extremely well. My Fav is Sweet Child O' Mine, and he gets pretty damn melodic in the beginning!
  5. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    my buddy is a HUGE GnR fan. He told me theres a rumor that duff is one of the bassists metallica is considering for jasons replacement.
  6. mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Even though he is primarily a guitar player and he plays with a pic, I love his bass lines. He was one of very few eighties metal bassplayers that actually grooved (in a time when groove was not a word you could say and still be cool).

In one band or another, I think I've played every song on Appetite for Destruction and hope that some of that has rubbed off on my playing.
  7. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Definatley a great and overlooked bassist. One of the best sounds I've ever heard from a pic (at least to my ears) is the intro to "Coma".
  8. He is great, I dont know what the song is, but its from the Terminator Two soundtrack, his intro on that is just damn fantastic. He grooves well for a metal bassist. As good'ol Dirk Lance says "Duff did a lot of playing in that band".

9. Duff rules, he's one of my main influences as a bassist. The rest of my band gets really pissed off though when I try to put that much treble on my bass :D. They're ignorant.

I think the Terminator II song is "You Could Be Mine", but I'm not sure.
  10. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    If you Duff fans are interested, my Fender Jazz Bass Special is for sale. P body, J neck, P-J pickups, made in Japan mid 80's. Pearly white, black neck, headstock, and hardware. $400 or make me an offer. I've seen many pix of Duff playing one identical to this.
  11. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Yeah, I don't see why people beat on him so much. IMO he has good tone and his bass lines fit the music.
  12. I have a tape from the band Fastbacks ("The Question is No"), that credits Duff as a drummer on one of the songs. Just mentioning this for the Duff fans that might not know that.
  13. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000

if those were grooves then the grand canyon's a ditch
  14. I liked Guns 'n' Roses, and they all worked well together - but I never really though Duff was a particulalry brilliant bassist! Oooops, I've said it now!!!

Don't get me wrong, what he did in the band was fine and some of his basslines were really cool - i used to play loads of them!!!!

Him going to Metallica would be interesting, I don't think he is skilled enough to replace Jason Newsted - but it looks like James and Lars might just be looking for a 'Yes' man to do as he's told (BTW I still like Metallica - even their new stuff). I guess I just don't think he'd fit in with their music (although they could pull their usual trick and hide the bass in the mix)

On one of the G 'n' R videos Duff mentions he was a drummer for 7 years before he became a bassist!

'You Could be Mine' is indeed the track in Terminator II (A track which I quite like!)

I have seen the pics of Duff with his white bass on the album sleeves - but live I'd only seen him use the P-bass Lyte (also Japanese, and I nearly bought one of them!!).

One of his redeeming features is that he used (certainly for all the gigs I saw) Trace Elliot amps and also Rotosound strings - can't fault the man's taste in gear!!!!
  15. Duff will never play with Metallica, because he doesn' t like music that they play. And it doesn't matter how skilled he is. The most important is to like the music. And here are some facts for you who don't know much about him. He was playing drums and guitar before bass and he was playing in 31 bands before G n'r. with one word he is jack. (in Slovenia that someone who is cool) hehe.
  16. I agree that you have to like the music - there's no point unless you can start there!!! I personally don't think he is technically good enough to replace Jason Newsted - just my opinion.

I did know about the drumming bit - but 31 bands??? Were they no good (the bands), was he no good (for them) or did he just not get on with people???? Interesting fact and thanks for sharing it!!!

Please don't get me wrong - I was influenced by his playing. I did and still do play some of the G 'n' R stuff from Appetite... and enjoy it.