1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Duff McKagan is the newest member of Jane's Addiction

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Vic Winters, May 8, 2010.

1. yeah i read about it in the rolling stone mag, i think thats cool! i like duff's playing and maybe it would sound nice with janes addiction. i might just get their next album because of this. maybe :p

2. JukeBoxHero

JukeBoxHero

May 21, 2009
    Eh this doesn't sound like a good fit to me. Certain songs by Jane's Addiction like Idiots Rule I don't see Duff doing very well with live.

3. trim82nd

trim82nd

Feb 10, 2009
    I'm a huge Eric Avery fan. His playing got me interested in the bass many moons ago.

I like Duff as well, his sound may or may not fit with Jane's wee shall see. I hope he can mesh with the two overrated "faces" of that band and make some good tunes.

4. Eric is the only bassist of theirs worth concerning oneself with

5. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    Duff McKagan was a good bass player for GNR. I'm not going to make any judgement on whether he could sound good with Jane's Addiction or not, until I hear it. For those who don't think he could, consider the fact that it's been about 20 years since Appetite for Destruction. I'm sure he has practiced the bass a little and gotten better since then.

6. BassScum

BassScum

May 1, 2008
    So Cal
    From all the songs I've heard from Jane's... Duff should have no problem laying down the bass lines. Even 20 years ago with Appetite of Destruction, I thought his tone and lines sounded great, better then Jane's... IMO.

7. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler

Aug 7, 2007
    Chicago, that toddling town
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    very easy to write off Duff...

how many famous solo/ intros have you guys played? almost any woman over 25 alive today could sing you that intro from sweet child o' mine. not many bassists alive today can claim the same.

how many times did y'all circle the globe with one of the top selling rock bands of all time? those guys owned the world. for years.

just saying... :rolleyes:

8. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    That's because Izzy wrote those famous songs. After Izzy left, that band could do no more, if that wasn't pretty obvious.

9. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    duff could play on any of my records or soundtracks anytime

10. Qvist

Qvist

Jul 20, 2007
    Denmark
    Duff is awesome, I love everything about his bassplaying!

11. Nothing personal, Shy-Dub, but I see this argument all the time on TB, and it's misguided to say the least.

Success in the music industry can be predicated on hard work, relentless touring, innovative talent, imaginative phrasing and musical genius, but much more often is based on blind luck.

For every success story you care to name, there are dozens of others just like them who have paid the same dues, have the same talent, even genius, and continue to toil in obscurity. For all I know, you could be one of them.

Luck, and to a slightly lesser degree marketing prowess, is much more likely to produce success in the music industry, and there are a legion of talentless zeros I could point to who have made their mark on the music world as a result.

You might as well be saying "I don't see any of you bozos rolling sevens fifty times in a row" as making this argument. There's simply no formula for predicting what the average music fan will take into his or her callow heart at any moment, and if there were, I assure you the music industry would be using it right now, likely to the detriment of all our tastes.

Back on topic, I think Duff could make a good fit with Jane's Addiction, although I expect the band to have a different sound with him aboard. Heck, they have a different sound every album anyway, so if you're a fan (and I am, casually), you'll probably take it in stride.

12. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    ^Anyways^

I was going to mention that melody too. I never learned it myself, but I remember it so well I could probably sit down with the bass right now and figure it out from memory. That's a sign of something good to me no matter how you quantify it.

I've always dug Eric Avery. You have to admit though that both bands came from a similar root: punk rock. So it won't be that difficult for him to get into Jane's music. The question is will he let his ego dominate? That seems to be a trend in both bands: who's the biggest rock star in the band?

13. iembalm

iembalm

Dec 24, 2009
    Oregon coast
    Without Avery it's a Jane's cover band, so Duff could probably step in.