1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Duff McKagan: Isolated bass track to "Welcome to the Jungle" (1987)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by A.K., Apr 11, 2015.

1. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I like it.

2. Ricky Brezina

Ricky Brezina

May 4, 2014
    sounds cool

A.K. likes this.
  3. Mik75

Mik75

Sep 21, 2013
    Frankfurt, Germany
    One of the best Rock'n'Roll albums of the 80's, and Duff's excellent bass playing was an important part of it!

IPA, knumbskull, A.K. and 1 other person like this.
  4. bhunt1

bhunt1 Vintage Lefty Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Older than dirt ;)
    This is a example of how the bass is the backbone of many great songs.

5. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it Supporting Member

Yeah, Duff is just a great bass player. His lines are really well thought-out and his note choices are excellent and his articulation is great. And his tone is clear and rockin'! Wonder what bass this is...

wintremute, knumbskull and A.K. like this.
  6. Skullie

Skullie Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Long Island N.Y.
    Great tone. I'm glad it has some bottom to it. Nice note choices and tight playing.

knumbskull and A.K. like this.
  7. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    That's some rock-solid bass playing. So many songs on that album have great bass lines.

knumbskull, A.K. and Jah Wobble Fan like this.
  8. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I have always thought Duff was the best part of G 'n R.

A fellow professor in my department went to high school with Duff and smoked pot with him in the late '70s. Said he was a very nice guy but dumb as a box of rocks.

MovingPitchers likes this.
  9. bass10bfb

bass10bfb Prophet Low End Provider Gold Supporting Member

May 5, 2011
    Newport, TN.
    Thanks for sharing A.K.!!!! I love Duff's playing. Listening to that makes me realize some stuff I missed when playing it before. Great note choice and killer playing. Just like some of the other guys have said, Duff is rock solid and his lines are all great and fit the song well. I absolutely loved Appetite For Destruction when it came out. Duff was for sure somebody that I listened to and enjoyed his playing style.

A.K. likes this.
  10. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I would probably like G 'n R if it weren't for Axl. He makes Stephen Pearcy sound like Placido Domingo.

Still--Duff is a classic hard rock bassist. He kicks ass here.

11. Alex J

Alex J

Jul 5, 2011
    UK
    Compared to a lot of isolated bass tracks, Duff's playing is really tight!

12. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it Supporting Member

Didn't he eventually go back to school for finance and economics? I'm pretty sure he did. Good on him for smartening up!

13. Nice. That's the first time I've heard it isolated, thanks for posting. Seems I have been playing it about 98% correct.

Didn't Duff co-write some of the songs from Appetite? Or wrote some of the signature licks, at least. Kind of a Tom Hamilton player (I think Duff is a guitar player as well, hence the great pick control).

knumbskull likes this.
  14. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    I've never got the impression that Duff is dumb, quite the opposite, in fact.

knumbskull and Dan Bass like this.
  15. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    Duff rules. That albums is great for so many reasons. Love his playing.

knumbskull likes this.
  16. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Maybe he is smart. I don't know. I'm just reporting what I've heard about him as he was in Seattle c. 1980.

He's a good bass player, though.

17. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    That album, and bass playing has been permanently assimilated into my DNA. The definition of rock bass. A master.

18. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    I thought he made more from his early investments in Starbucks, Microsoft and Amazon than he did from music.

EDIT interesting article here, though it neither confirms nor denies the above rumour. either way, smart lad: Duff McKagan, Guns N’ Capital - Businessweek

oh and him and Appetite are among the reasons i picked up a bass in the first place...

19. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    according to Watch You Bleed (GNR biog), it was Izzy, him, and Axl who were the main writers in the early days. Slash definitely wrote *that* riff though :)

electracoyote likes this.
  20. Yeah, I kinda figured. But that album is so chock full of riffs, many of which are Duff's, it's amazing.