1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Duff mckagan les Paul bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fero78, May 4, 2021 at 1:58 PM.

1. Fero78

Fero78

Jul 28, 2020
    I ve a les Paul bass (I think 96) and I saw even duff mckagan had one back in 93 uyi tour. I tried with my les Paul to get his les Paul tone. But looks like impossible even with chorus gk amp and rotosound strings. (His fender tone I can easily get with my fender jazz special basses). Am I doing something wrong or some set ups in his rigs changes when using a Gibson bass??

2. FRoss6788

FRoss6788 Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Santa Cruz Mountains
    Never saw him with one...

First I've heard of it :eyebrow:

3. Fero78

Fero78

Jul 28, 2020

he used only for the 1993 leg of the uyi tour.... but it sounds amazing

Tbone76 and filler83 like this.

4. He can be seen playing it in the official music video for Estranged

5. Craig Orndorff

Craig Orndorff Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2021
    I was just wondering the other day how it might translate to bass. I feel like the SG does well as the EB-0/3, but something about an LP body with four strings doesn’t sit right with me.

6. Fero78

Fero78

Jul 28, 2020
    The les Paul is an amazing bass..... I feel is easier to play compared to fender in one way. Just doesn’t sound like the one in the video.... and I cannot grasp why...

7. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) mmm Woody! Supporting Member

Processing via PA console, post performance reprocessing. Re-recorded tracks post performance .
    What you hear is NOT what it sounded like in the venue :)

8. Fero78

Fero78

Jul 28, 2020

I don’t know.... I took this other video from the crowd ..... it sound kind of the same.

9. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    There were several iterations of these LP basses at that time.

The one that he plays seems to have Thunderbird pickups, and kinda sounds like a Bird with the bass frequencies toned down significantly, at least to my damaged ears. If you have one with the Barts - which is what I owned at one time - it will likely sound quite different.

On a more general note, if you're EQ-ing that LP in a similar fashion to the Fender, you're not likely to get far. Cutting the bass and lower mids on the amp and starting from there would be the first step IMO, but I'm clueless about your amp and may very well be wrong on this one. It's more of an observation on EQ-ing a Gibson in general.

Good luck.

ghostinthemach likes this.
  10. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    If I remember correctly he used it a several times but he never really appreciated the bass. I read it somewhere, I'll try to find the source.

11. Marc DLarosa

Marc DLarosa Supporting Member

May 29, 2017
    Must have something to do with Slash's hat...

12. Other than he switched out the pickups. I found a fan recording and it looks like he is playing the Les Paul
    check 2:09 of the video sure looks like a Les Paul. I have a Paul and other than a sans amp pedal it would be tough to pull that tone from a stock Les Paul bass.

Added I did more research an my guess was correct this is not your Stock Les Paul it is a Gibson LPB-3
    which has TB Plus Humbuckers pickups which are way different sounding than a Les Paul
    TB stands for Thunder bird if you haven't guess

Last edited: May 5, 2021 at 7:19 AM
    ghostinthemach likes this.
  13. Fero78

Fero78

Jul 28, 2020
    I ve a 97 Les Paul Bass (lpb 3) in the pic. I think he is using a 90. But I think he is using different settings or pic ups..... because no way they sound even similar 81D28C93-5CFC-409B-8103-2CEF92664E6D.jpeg

Attached Files:

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I don't think you can definitively say that.

Smooth_bass88 likes this.
  15. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I remember those Les Paul basses getting a big bump when they first came out (maybe Gibson handing them out to the rock guys)... and then they just kinda faded in popularity.

They do look nice.

16. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Interesting. I see bassists with their go to but on occasion for one reason or another a different model for use slips in there.

17. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    Cool thread. I’m a big Duff fan, and I agree that bass sounds killer. A couple of things...

1. I recall seeing an interview with him back around the UYI days on mtv where he showed that bass to the interviewer and said it was a gift from Axl.
    That’s pretty sweet. But it looks like it neck dives like crazy, which is why I’ve never pulled the trigger on one (Chris Maines of Clutch has one that sounds awesome as well btw). Is there any neck dive!

18. Fero78

Fero78

Jul 28, 2020
    Wonder if the difference is in the pic ups or he uses different settings on the amp, bass , chorus etc....

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021