Duff Mckagan playing GK & Fender?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wolfkeller, Apr 27, 2016.

1. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Duff posted this last night. So, fender Super bassmans AND what look like GK MB800. Any thoughts as to why? Fender guys, cab the bassman get a GK kind of grind? GK guys, can the MBs cop 800rb tone?

Attached Files:

2. Probly going for a bit of the SVT style tube sound PLUS the GK grind. The Super Bassman will do many types of grind with the drive channel and sweepable mids, but I dunno re getting the 'GK grind' ???

wolfkeller likes this.
  3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Westchester, NY
    Kinda sorta. On the Boost channel, the MB's are close enough in a live setting IME/IMO. It's not the same as it's not possible to actually "hit the rails" on an MB head, but it sound a pretty good approximation of it.

wolfkeller likes this.
  4. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I know GKs are reliable as hell, wonder why he doesn't use the 2001 or 800rb anymore. He said he switched to fender due to something about consistency. Well, his whole career was GK. Weight and size are not an issue so why use those MBs?

5. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Maybe he actually likes them?

6. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Well...I sapose

7. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    Why? Because Duff McKagan does what he wants! Really, a player of his profile can play or afford anything he wants. He's a no-nonsense kind of guy (and really nice) so if I were to guess, i'd say something with this rig has an advantage over his old rig, to get the tone where it needs to be. Peoples' taste change over time.

A little off-topic... those Fender Bassman heads have been encroaching on what was otherwise SVT and Mesa territory slowly, but surely. I've noticed several artists have made the jump, but for reasons unknown. Maybe Fender is in a giving mood as of late.

8. For reasons unknown. ... they do sound fantastic ya know! And shots like the one above help sell more. A picture's worth a thousand amps ain't that the saying?

9. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    maybe he's running a dirty rig and a clean rig and blending them. dunno.

BrentSimons likes this.
  10. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I wonder only cuz Duff is known for a certain tone and I've yet to find an amp that can get the GK rails sound, especially a tube amp. It's a really drastic change.

11. Makes sense. It looks like he has a Radial switcher/splitter down below
    If my middle age eyes see correctly the his EQ points on the GK's look the same as he usually uses. I'm thinking GK for the clean and the Fender for the overdrive.
    Brent

12. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Yeah, looks that way. 2 full rigs. 12983815_10153528718588302_8302237723892811268_o.jpg

13. I don't have any answers to the original question.

I just want clarification whether Duff's rig has to compete against ALL of those Supro and Voodoo amps at once? That's an awful lot of guitar amp right there.

14. Probly just to feel his pants flap and users in-ears

15. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Wow

16. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Westchester, NY
    Who is the 2nd guitarist on this tour?

17. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I imagine he plays what he's paid to play, like many players.

18. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Of course not.

19. Gluvhand

Gluvhand Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Rockland County, NY
    Richard Fortus I believe.

Dave W likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022