Duff Mckagan Sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass Boy J, Jun 9, 2021.

1. This is exactly what the TBX was designed to do.

Bass Boy J likes this.
  2. Bass Boy J

Bass Boy J

Mar 3, 2020
    Where can I find the wiring diagrams for the TBX for a jazz bass?

3. I wouldnt say so... but the original question here was "how did duff get such a trebley tone".

So, I thinks its worth mentioning that, from day one, he played the only Fender bass ever made, which came with a tone circuit designed to increase treble and/ or clarity.

I am an advocate for treble and organic tone, and I've used them for well over a decade, in everything.

I respect GNR and I love "who they were and what they did", but I'm not a massive fan by any means. I do think Duff is/ a great guy, artist, with a terrific tone and he's an incredible asset to the bass community. He is how I discovered the TBX.

Rich67 likes this.
  4. The TBX wiring diagrams are everywhere, and they come with the circuit as well. The only other notable instrument that theyre on is the Clapton guitar. The bass and guitar do use a different cap, so when you buy a TBX, bear in mind that Fender does not package them for the bass! So, you'll need to swap the cap, or just use the guitar cap... Which is what I do.

5. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    Agree with most of what has been said. Tone comes from Duff and his picking as much as the amp and chorus. IIRC he split his signal on AFD between his usual GK rig and a Marshall guitar amp for that touch of distortion. Maybe added to the treble.
    Ultimately a pick and a Jazz bass special or most PJ’s will get you most of the way there. Pick over the bridge pickup and voila

6. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
  7. Bass Boy J

Bass Boy J

Mar 3, 2020
    I didn’t know he split his signal between the GK and a Marshall guitar amp

8. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    Keep in mind that there are more than one track of bass. There is usually a DI signal as well as the mic'd cabs and both are blended. There may be as many as three or more

Duff also uses a pick

But the main thing is strings: fresh strings in the studio, especially during the 80s

String life is the biggest contributor and the main reason I change strings very very often: You can tone down zinginess but you cant add it if it isnt there to begin with

9. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    One of my rigs is: GK 800RB thru a pair of EV-15L in TL-606 cabs.....absolutely nails Duffs tone with a bit of chorus and a pick w rounds....i dont know that a PJ is even necessary because the EV-15L have a LOT of treble and clarity.

15s vary and though an EV-15L wont take a lot of power, the sound is there with the 800RB....matter of fact i can run my 65 Epiphone Newport thru this rig with a lone 'mudbucker' in the neck and get plenty of treble.

10. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    My bud and i were discussing Guns & Roses....my bud is a veteran blues rock player since the 70's and we agreed that neither of us can listen to 'Appetite' all the way thru and its mostly Axls voice and Duffs clanky bass tone at times that is off putting.

Its a now 'classic bass tone' for sure but i can only take so much trebly bass and bright nasty guitars and a singer like Axl at once!....guess im old.

My bud saw them live in the late 80's opening for i think Aerosmith and he says they sounded better live than he imagined after hearing 'Appetite'!

Steve Dallman likes this.
  11. Rich67

Rich67 Gold Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2019
    North of Austin, TX
    That's a great Instagram post you're mentioning. It's part 2 of a 2 part post. Part 1 references the other half of his current amp rig, the Fender Super Bassman. This is a bad screen shot, but I think the treble on the Bassman is at 8.
    IMG_02141.png

12. Rich67

Rich67 Gold Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2019
    North of Austin, TX
    I'll admit my prior post doesn't answer OP's original question. But was trying to help by way of saying current GK settings on a different GK amp may not reflect how he set his 400RB at Rumbo studios way back when.

13. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

A “no load” tone pot will achieve the same effect as the TBX control.

14. To the contrary Axl's voice and Duff's tone helped set GNR apart from most of what was going on at the time.

A bass tone that "cuts through the mix" that so many seem to crave. A tone that can be recognized unlike so many others from the 80's and 90's - many who sounded very generic despite being better players and using all sorts of different gear.

The bass in You Could be Mine is the highlight of that song.(indeed, not on Appetite)

SLO Surfer, chaosMK, Rich67 and 2 others like this.
  15. I couldnt tell you why Fender decided to put the TBX in Jazz Special and Duff bass, only that it's there. Personally, I play finger style, but demand pick tone, so for the last 20 years, I use brass nuts, brass bridges, new round wounds, and either no pots, 500k pots, or the TBX on all of my Fenders and G&Ls. It works very well.

16. It's worth mentioning that Matt Freeman has a very similar tone, and he uses a pick on rounds, with a split.

StevieMac likes this.
  17. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Oh i like lots of their songs.....they are just very fatiguing for me to listen to for long....it got better for sure on later albums imo.

DrMole likes this.
  18. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    His sound is 50% pick and 30% GK hitting the rails

19. Scott Shaw

Scott Shaw

Jun 6, 2019
    Back in the day right after I made the switch from 6 string guitar to bass and still played with a pick, I had a Peavey 1516 cab, a Peavey B-Ninety (active electronics PJ configuration) and borrowed a GK 400 RB. It nailed the Duff sound. I really loved the sound of that amp.

20. For Velvet Revolver not G&R.

Bass Boy J likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021