Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Duff McKagan...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Scuzzy666, Feb 24, 2001.

1. He was the bassist for the original err-- REAL Guns 'n' Roses. I personally think he's one of the better heavy metal bassists out there and could teach some of our rap metal cohorts a few (dozen) things...

rickwebb likes this.
  2. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    I dig him. I learned a lot of his parts when I was starting out. He does some of the coolest fills I've heard in a rock setting. Simple but really cool and really perfect. Plus he has a really cool tone.

rickwebb likes this.
  3. Probably one of the few good heavy metal bass players during that time.... I always liked G-n-R......But that was when playing bass meant something other than sitting on a tuned down B string......

rickwebb likes this.
  4. I must agree....Duff's lines from "Welcome to the Jungle" and "Paradise City" especially were some of my favorite play-alongs in my earlier first go-around with bass. "You Could Be Mine" (T2, remember?) kicked ass, too. Good quality hard rock bassist with a stout tone.

Dan

rickwebb likes this.
  5. Mr. Brownstone was a great song too, and pretty good bassline. And You Could Be Mine has to be one of the coolest music videos ever, just for all the cool scenes from T2.

6. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i am not a gnr fan in the least, but his lines were killer!

and the production on the first gnr is probably the best production ever imho. everything was so crisp, clear and defined, yet perfecty blended.

rickwebb and shawshank72 like this.
  7. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey if you like his stuff listen to some old lynerd skynerd they sound alot alike! Duff must have liked him!

8. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Duff Rocks. Definetely one of the best rock bassists. The latest live version of Paradise City
    you can here him in the mix really well. I saw GnR twice when they were touring. They really had a great live show even if Axl was an A-hole.

rickwebb likes this.
  9. Hary

Hary Guest

Sep 19, 2000
    Hungary, Veszprém
    Duff plays pretty good. Guns is not my favourite band, but he plays well, especially on Apetite. His solo career is not good (I think). Once we broadcasted "Believe in Me" in school radio, but that was the only one from him.

10. Yeah...Duff was f***ing awesome in those days....

rickwebb likes this.
  11. Hmm. I love Guns N Roses - still listen to 'em regularly - they have a totaly wicked groove and they do serioulsy rock!

IMO: Duff (kinda bad name for a musician!?) has a cool tone, it cuts through the "wall-o-guitar" really well. He use chorus and stuff, I think?

I have to say thought that I never really thought his line were particularly great, but they were perfect for GNR - - but then what else matters?!

I just don't like the sound of picked bass, reminds me of Pat Badger too much...

Having said that the intro to Sweet Child O Mine is cool....

12. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    some people at this forum bashed duff hard just a few weeks ago. I wonder if they just changed their mind, or if they're gonna show their negative attitude around this thread =D

I was a huge fan of GNR in the early 90ties and have no problem what so ever with Duff.

13. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I do NOT like GnR at all. Axl is too annoying and whines instead of sings.

BUT!!!!!!
    I think Duff was really good. He had some great melodic and heavy grooves that few others do. I also like Slash. Too bad Axl sux or GnR might not be so horrible.

rickwebb likes this.
  14. Slash Rules. No questions asked.

He was the embodyment of rock and roll.

rickwebb likes this.
  15. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Duff had good lines, I agree with that, but he was not that great IMHO.
    I saw G'n'R live and he fumbled a lot ! (wrong note, missing string or so ...)
    Perhaps it was one bad night (or one drunk/stone night ) but ...

16. Canadianbassman

Canadianbassman Guest

Jan 20, 2001
    Duff is really good. i still listen to Guns and Roses My favorite song is Breakdown and estranged i like the long ones (coma November rain). they had great bass lines and great guitar SLASH,IZZ. axl=A-hole duff is a great bassist

rickwebb likes this.
  17. I like the bass lines on Appetite alot, but I was under the impression that Duff (beer) didn't play them. That they brought in a studio player to "fix" his basslines. I dunno. I heard that somewhere. I don't know if it's true. Do you?

18. Chube

Chube

Jul 2, 2005
    Milano - Italia
    Reopening an old thread to ask:

suggestions to get Duff's tone?

1st of all I think I'll need a chorus pedal...

Consider I have a Hartke 3500 with 10band eq...how do I set it?
    Compression?

Thanx

19. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    GK800RB-Fender P-Bass Special

20. Chube

Chube

Jul 2, 2005
    Milano - Italia
    I was thinking ebout equalization-compression, not about spending 3000 euros!

By the way the bass is special jazz.

rickwebb likes this.