1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Duff Mckagan.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Asa Samuel, May 28, 2007.

1. now, i know he uses Rotosound Swing bass 66 (rotosound spacers at one time) but i was just wondering weather he uses nickel or stainless steel.

anyone know?

am currently experimenting with strings and chorus pedals to try and get his tone without having to search around to get really old yamaha rackmounts for the chorus.

2. Duff uses the stainless steel 66's (orange packet :))

As for chorus pedals, the boss CE-5 is definately worth a look, not because it sounds just like Duff's chorus, but becasue it is so versatile.

3. ok, thanks dude.

4. Ryan Smith

Ryan Smith

Aug 29, 2006
    Chicago
    Duff uses chorus? how did I miss this? does he leave it on exclusivly?

5. yeah, he has it on all the time, thats the freaky sound on the bass at the begginning of you could be mine.

6. And there's a light chorus at the beginning of Sweet Child O' Mine

7. and every other song. Seriously, check out the Boss CEB3. I have one and it is definitely underrated.

8. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Endorsing artist: Bergantino Audio Systems
    I had the Boss Bass Chorus and found it lacking in a loud rock band setting. I ended up with the EBS Unichorus, alot more versatile than the Boss (but also 2-3x as much).

9. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    there's a healthy dose of chorus on many of duff's tracks throughout the discography.

10. VR_91

VR_91

Jun 8, 2007
    Hi. I'm new on this forum.

I'm a Duff fan so i just wanted to say that Duff used at GN'R time a Yamaha SPX90 muli-effects. It combines Chorus and Flanger. That's what is giving this particular sound to his bass tone.
    And I can add that he replace on his Fender basses the JB pickup by a SEYMOUR DUNCAN Hot Stack.

11. VR_91

VR_91

Jun 8, 2007
    But the only thing that I don't know about him is the string gauges he use with the ROTOSOUND.

If someone knows...

12. rsautrey

rsautrey Inactive

Jul 27, 2000
    Duff uses Rotosound Swing Bass Stainless Steel roundwounds. RS66LD is the gauge = 105 80 65 45

13. just bought some swing badd steel roundwound guages 45-105 and they sound amazing with my chorus pedal, getting alot closer to his tone, i just need a good chorus pedal now, cause i dont have space for a rackmounted yamaha.
    any recomendations for chorus pedals?

14. are there any pedals that combine chorus and flanger at once?

15. VR_91

VR_91

Jun 8, 2007
    Me personaly, I use two differents pedals, chorus and flanger.
    The Flanger is a DOD and the chorus is a BEHRINGER.
    But now I'm looking for a YAMAHA SPX90.

Can I ask you how do you know the strings gauges of Duff, RSAUTREY? 'Cause it's a very hard information to find.
    I've search for a long time.

16. rsautrey

rsautrey Inactive

Jul 27, 2000
    There was an interview with Duff in Bass Guitar magazine awhile back (the one with him on the cover) and it had this information in it.

17. Hi, I'm a Duff fan too, also trying to get his effects down. I have the Ibanez CS-9 Chorus but I see that he mixed in a Flanger. I'm thinking of picking up an SPX90. Would you have any settings suggestions for it, for the Flanger and Chorus?
    Thanks.
    Javier.

18. I don't know if you realize this or not, but you've just resurrected a thread from 2007 in "Strings" section to ask a question about effect pedals. You might be better off posting this in the "Effects" section.

eriky4003 likes this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021