Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Duff Mckagans's Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by megatron, Sep 23, 2003.

1. megatron

megatron

Jul 9, 2003
    Does anyone here know what kind of bass he played while with G&R? he plays it in the sweet child o mine video if anyone has seen it can you tell me what make and model it is? Also is the way it sounds this bass' stock sound or is he using some kind of effects pedal? I have a $3,000 harmon kardon audio system so I am dead certain it is the same bass he uses on every G&R song I have. I really love the sound of that bass and would love to have someone here I.D. it for me so I can find and buy one. Thank you

2. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I'm almost 100% positive that duff played a Fender Jazz Bass Special, which has a P Bass body and a jazz bass neck. It has a J pickup in the neck position and a P pickup in the bridge position.

I had the same bass but sold it years ago to buy a P Bass reissue, which I've also sold.

I wish I still had both of them.

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    according to:

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/misc/equipment.html

Duff McKagan
    Bass for GNR [1985 - 1997]

Bass Guitars:
    Kramer
    Gibson LPB-3 Les Paul
    Fender Jazz Special Bass
    Fender Precision (P-bass)

Amps:

Gallien-Krueger 800RB Bass Amp

Strings:

Roto-sound Spacer

Pickups:

Seymour Duncan Bassline

Effects:

Yamaha SPX90 Chorus Effect

4. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
  5. I had a meeting with him a few weeks ago. He was playing his Fender Jazz Special through a GK 2001RB, GK 410 and 115RBH cabinets.