Duff McKagen - New Fender Ads

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Robert Green, Feb 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Robert Green

Robert Green

Jul 28, 2016
    Hi guys,

I just wanted to gauge the bass playing community's thoughts on the new Fender 'pro series' Ads on youtube featuring GnR's Duff McKagen. I found the choice of artist to promote the new P Bass baffling. With all due respect to GnR fans, Duff is not generally considered to be a particularly skilled bass player.

Put simply, wouldn't it have made sense to get an artist that could actually play? Fender are already affiliated with many great and talented artists such as Geddy Lee, Pino Palladino, Michael League and Flea (who already has an ad with Fender at the moment). Who are Fender aiming their new range at? Ageing rockers? Beginners? GnR fans?

I understand completely that Mr McKagen is a very famous face and has his own signature Fender P but is he really going to show the world exactly what range of tones and sounds you can get from such a classic instrument?

Axstar likes this.
  2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I'm reading his bio right now, but I wouldn't buy that bass just because he demos it.
    It's "McKagan", BTW.

3. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Gold Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Duff is a cat who has played all over the world. He's paid his dues and more or less earned the right to have some respect as a bassist.

I'm sure he knows what he likes to hear coming out of his rig. Just because he doesn't play a bunch of flashy intricate stuff doesn't mean he isn't a solid resource for how to achieve a solid rock and roll bass tone. That is certainly one of the things that Fender basses definitely excel at.

4. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    It's not all about skill when it comes to product endorsements. It's about who sells products. Guns and Roses sells. Period.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  5. Yeah, Duff's a hack........

:rollno:

A.K., tfer, songwriter21 and 3 others like this.
  6. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    You are completely insane.

knumbskull, A.K., leadfingers and 6 others like this.
  7. I think he's solid. And thats what counts as a bassist.
    Listening to this track, he nails it.
    No need for flash.

tindrum, rodl2005, MYLOWFREQ and 7 others like this.
  8. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    Yup. Talent doesn't sell to the general public.

With that said, Duff has an identifiable sound and style and is the bassist of one of the biggest ard rock bands ever. Don't know why you're trying to pass him off as just... some bassist.

9. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    If you listen to Duff's playing and insinuate he can't play I'd say you had some serious issues, to be nice. The music speaks for itself. When you consider the massive hype and over a million (now way more) Tix sales on their tour, who can top that in terms of someone to generate sales and interest? Who else is currently as visible? There's your answer.

Bass Growler, A.K., tfer and 5 others like this.
  10. Mdrummey

Mdrummey

Oct 18, 2015
    Nashville, TN
    I think his playing/tone is pretty easily recognizable. You could hear just a few quick licks and know that it is him.

For me that weighs a lot heavier than having a lot of chops. Now to have both the instant recognition and monster chops...that's something only a handful of cats have.

IMO not everyone needs to sound like Hadrien Feraud, Matthew Garrison or Gary Willis to be considered good.

I caught GNR last summer in Nashville and I thought Duff was an awesome performer. They kept it rocking for an entire night in nearly 100 degree weather. If anything I'd say he probably doesn't get enough credit from the musician community.

11. jd-ns

jd-ns

Sep 28, 2010
    Canada
    I suspect most people would rather watch a full ad with Duff as opposed to watching another one of that headless black dude with the deformed hands.

upload_2017-2-8_14-4-59.png

MrJohnston138, gfen and smeet like this.
  12. jmela

jmela

Jul 24, 2007
    Fender's advertising is not meant to be a trophy of musical achievement; they're trying to sell gear to young dudes with rock star dreams.

He's a rock player in a guitar-driven band that has sold a bajillion records. When the home team runs out on the field, it's his band's song is pumping over the PA. He's also written on financial matters in various publications has a wealth-management firm of his own. That kind of familiarity in people's lives makes him an ideal ad subject.

13. LAST_C

LAST_C Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Florida
    Not everyone can be a Michael Jordan in basketball. Not every bass player has to be flashy or play 200 notes per minutes. I believe he's a very good bass player that does what is needed to be done when playing. Plus, he's a multi-millionaire that gigs all year long so he must be doing something right...

14. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    You should probably change that to something more along the lines of "In my opinion, I don't consider Duff to be a particularly skilled bass player."
    There isn't an objective measure for skill, especially here on TB. I have frequently named and shown examples of bassists that destroy anything the bass players you mentioned have done, but because they don't fit into the narrow view of TB orthodoxy, they are dismissed.

15. Yeah, that!

shawshank72 likes this.
  16. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I like that, dismissed. I get such a kick out of those guys that think like that. Makes me think "hipster" hahaha. I have 2 words; inconceivable and liquidate.

A.K. likes this.
  17. lostreality

lostreality

Sep 2, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Well, Duff...
    1) isn't dead or dying
    2) has been famous for decades
    3) is edgy, but it's far enough in the past that nobody gets offended
    4) became famous with Fender products

I can't think of anybody better to sell Fender basses

18. If Duff is an aging rocker what are Geddy and Flea? And League is a hipster doofus that nobody would recognize. And Pino's face, well, let's just say it wasn't made for advertising.

byoung93888, A.K. and winterburn69 like this.
  19. First thought... *** does his skin color have to do with anything? If he was white, would you have said "That headless white dude..."?
    Not preaching, just sayin.

Anyway, I almost feel like this is a troll thread. There is no way you can think of Duff as anything less than an iconic bass player. They bass lines he has played have been the core of many multi platinum albums. His playing is/was as relevant as any of the players the op mentioned. In fact, I don't even know who Michael League is.

I suggest to the op, to grab a pick and play any of the dozen or more hits GnR have, and learn the bass lines, you'll be surprised.

Now, the only thing I found strange is him playing a P bass. He's a known PJ player, and I've seen him play a Jazz... but never just a Precision.

20. I bet Flea and Duff are about the same age. Geddy OTOH is a fair bit older.

I fear most of us are aging rockers.........