1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Duff using SWR Goliath?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ladros2, Jul 21, 2005.

1. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    i just saw the original guns n roses playing knockin on heavens door on tv live, and from what i could see of the bass amps, it looked like duff was using a goliath and a big ben. i say a big ben as it was too big to be a 15". the goliath looked like a goliath III, same kind of metal grill protecting the speaker, and the same tweeter that really stands out.

i was under the impression that the general concensus was that he played GK amps, am i crazy, or did he use swr?

also, was the goliath III even available back then?

2. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I've seen that video and wondered the same thing. I remember a while back I did some research on it and from what I remember his GK cab's were on stage.. at least one 4x10 and a 1x15 stack if I remember correctly with DU on the 4x10 and FF spray painted on the 1x15 respectively.

I do remember seeing the SWR cab's but I believe they were backline for another band.

Duff has been a very faithful GK user through the years.

3. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    ah right, i was very confused. thank you. but, what model goliath was it?

4. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I'd have to go and dig the video up, which I just did...........

Ok, to my eyes, it looks like two SWR stacks with a Big Ben on the bottom and a Goliath on top. Looks like an SM, maybe SM900 powering each stack. The Goliath's look like they don't have any front ports, so that'd make me believe they are Goliath I series.

If you look to the left of the SWR stacks, you'll see an Ampeg fridge, and just to the left of that, you'll see a GK stack (although it doesn't have Duff's name spray painted on it like I thought I remembered it having).

There's a huge backline on that stage...to the left of the GK rig I even saw what looks like at least one Road Ready Mesa 2x15 stack....