Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Duff using SWR Goliath?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ladros2, Jul 21, 2005.

1. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    i just saw the original guns n roses playing knockin on heavens door on tv live, and from what i could see of the bass amps, it looked like duff was using a goliath and a big ben. i say a big ben as it was too big to be a 15". the goliath looked like a goliath III, same kind of metal grill protecting the speaker, and the same tweeter that really stands out.

i was under the impression that the general concensus was that he played GK amps, am i crazy, or did he use swr?

also, was the goliath III even available back then?

2. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I've seen that video and wondered the same thing. I remember a while back I did some research on it and from what I remember his GK cab's were on stage.. at least one 4x10 and a 1x15 stack if I remember correctly with DU on the 4x10 and FF spray painted on the 1x15 respectively.

I do remember seeing the SWR cab's but I believe they were backline for another band.

Duff has been a very faithful GK user through the years.

3. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    ah right, i was very confused. thank you. but, what model goliath was it?

4. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I'd have to go and dig the video up, which I just did...........

Ok, to my eyes, it looks like two SWR stacks with a Big Ben on the bottom and a Goliath on top. Looks like an SM, maybe SM900 powering each stack. The Goliath's look like they don't have any front ports, so that'd make me believe they are Goliath I series.

If you look to the left of the SWR stacks, you'll see an Ampeg fridge, and just to the left of that, you'll see a GK stack (although it doesn't have Duff's name spray painted on it like I thought I remembered it having).

There's a huge backline on that stage...to the left of the GK rig I even saw what looks like at least one Road Ready Mesa 2x15 stack....