Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Duff??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dan1099, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    What bass is Duff McKagan playing on the Velvet revolver album? The bass in the first video ("slither") looked like an Aerodyne, but then the new video, he has a white one...And fender doesnt make the Aerodyne in white, at least to my knowledge. Any ideas?

2. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    It's a PJ combo from the 80s. I can't remeber what the name is. I'm sure someone will ring in.

3. I heard he does play an Aerodyne. They do make it in funky colors like red and grey, so that could be it. but I know in the Guns n Roses days, he used a plain P/J Fender, one white and one black et least.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    It's a Fender Precision Special. They were made in Japan in the '80s. I think Duff's got Seymour Duncan pickups installed. In a BP interview, he said he was using Stingrays and then switched back to Fenders. I think he's lobbying to make it the "Duff McKagan model"... well, if Hoppus and Dirnt get name models, why not him?

5. it's the Jazz special.
    dunno why Fender called it a Jazz as it's a P body.

a Duff signature model sounds cool.
    (odd why Fender discontinued the model when GNR were big in the early 90's)
    I like the look of the white Fender logo against the black headstock.

in the new Rotosound ad he's holding an Aerodyne (jazz body with white binding)

6. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Maybe this will help:
    Fender Custom Shop P/J bass, one of the 3 (4, 5?) made for Duff by the Fender Custom Shop in the early 90´s.

(I took the pic from Basspalace.com website)

7. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Yep, it's definitely the 'Fender Jazz Bass Special'.

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a good condition pearl white one myself.....! :bassist:

8. Mmmmm, I loves me some black painted necks....

not. :rollno: