dufus spills beer.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Theonestarchild, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    Some jacka** spilt beer all over my pedal board... with it on, and working, and it got onto the limiter/enhancer and the overdrive pedals. The limiter started sparking all over the place, and the overdrive seemed fine (both were on). I immediately unplugged them, ruining the song in the process, but hey... better than ruining effects if at all possible... and I wonder what to do. I can speculate that the enhancer is probably dead, and that the overdrive just needs rinsing (I did it, it's over the heater duct drying now), but I was wondering if any voltage spikes or anything like that off the enhancer could have hurt other equipment?:mad:
  2. jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    how is "everything else" working? What brand of effects?
  3. I wouldn 't think that there would be any damage to the pedals if they weren't turned on...
  4. Theonestarchild

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    I had my crybaby, the limiter (Behringer), a digitech overdrive, and a digitech multi pedal. The multipedal was on. I was just wondering if something might have spiked and hurt them. The wah and the multi pedal work fine... but the wah was flaky to start with. So it plays flaky still.
  5. First thing to do is to make sure they're bone dry before you do ANYTHING else. Pedals are generally pretty well sealed up from "top down" liquid spills, you may find that some of them just need the sticky mess cleaned off them. For the ones that got wet internally, pop the backs off them, and where possible carefully open out the circuit board. Basically you want to get the insides as exposed to the air as possible.

Put them in a dry, warm (not hot! NEAR the heater duct is fine, but not on top of it!) place and be patient. I would maybe leave them for at least two to three days provided it's a very dry environment - longer if it's humid or cold. If you're lucky, once they're dry they'll work fine.

Chances are the sparks came from the power supply (or perhaps the battery snap) and not the pedals themselves. The only way to tell if other stuff got damaged is to plug it in and test it once it's dry.
  6. amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    KILL BONEHEAD:scowl:
  7. Generally speaking, aside from a cell phone battery, every piece of electronic equipment I've spilled stuff into still works after it dries. I've had water/beer spilled into my computer keyboard, alarm clock, pedals, and mixer, and once they dried off they all worked and still work fine to this day. We once had an entire beer accidentally spilled on our big mixer, and it still works, AND it is a behringer. I think unless the liquid caused a bad short, they should be alright.
  8. Theonestarchild

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    Excellent. :) The guy's wife (I was playing at a bar with my band) gave me a fifty dollar bill, which should cover the limiter, as well as the other pedal that got liquid on it. I'll see if they work. The lady said that he has done similar things before, and that in the morning when he realized what he did, he'd give me a call. I dunno. :-\