Duh moment.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by klocwerk, Jan 16, 2006.

1. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Just had a major DUH! moment and thought I'd share.

So I'm working on this frankenbass project and I've been fretting (hehe!) for a few days now over how to reroute the neck pocket in the new body precisely for the neck coming off the old body. The heel has just a slight curve to it, and I was lamenting the fact that it wasn't nice and square so I could just clamp scrap wood on the new body around the neck, remove the neck, and route.

But I have the original body with the original neck pocket.
    Duh, use a piloted router bit, clamp a chunk of wood on top of the old neck pocket, trace the old neck with the router, making a perfect template, then just route with that template on the new body.

2. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I spend the majority of my time thinking (fretting) about how to tackle a project too. I enjoy it!
    Usually, after a lot of fretting, the process will just jump out at you, and bingo, onto the next fret.
  3. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    yeah, I really do love those 'eureka' moments... :D
  4. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Personally I call it "mulling" and I do way too much of it (according to certian family members, anyway). I, too, enjoy this stage and it does a good job of keeping me entertained when I'm supposed to be doing something productive.

Nice job on the solution, by the way. It's always fun to have a proper eureka moment.