Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Duh moment.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by klocwerk, Jan 16, 2006.

1. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Just had a major DUH! moment and thought I'd share.

So I'm working on this frankenbass project and I've been fretting (hehe!) for a few days now over how to reroute the neck pocket in the new body precisely for the neck coming off the old body. The heel has just a slight curve to it, and I was lamenting the fact that it wasn't nice and square so I could just clamp scrap wood on the new body around the neck, remove the neck, and route.

But I have the original body with the original neck pocket.
    Duh, use a piloted router bit, clamp a chunk of wood on top of the old neck pocket, trace the old neck with the router, making a perfect template, then just route with that template on the new body.

:bag:
    duh.

2. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I spend the majority of my time thinking (fretting) about how to tackle a project too. I enjoy it!
    Usually, after a lot of fretting, the process will just jump out at you, and bingo, onto the next fret.

3. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    yeah, I really do love those 'eureka' moments... :D

4. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Personally I call it "mulling" and I do way too much of it (according to certian family members, anyway). I, too, enjoy this stage and it does a good job of keeping me entertained when I'm supposed to be doing something productive.

Nice job on the solution, by the way. It's always fun to have a proper eureka moment.

-Nate