1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Duke Ellington's Azure

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Nathan Parker, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Oct 10, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with this tune? I just figured out the melody, from the Ella Fitzgerald sings Ellington album. I've never heard the song on another album, nor do I recall anyone calling it on any gig I've been on. That being said, it's a very simple and pretty song. I was kind of hoping that someone would know of another version of it. I would love to hear more of this song.

2. TGP

TGP

Mar 27, 2005
    Boston
    I have that tune on two old LP's by the Phil Woods quintet.
    One is called Heaven on the Blackhawk label and the other is
    a live album called Integrity on Red records, an Italian label.
    These may be hard to find on CD.

Have you ever tried searching Rhapsody online for tunes?
    They have tons of stuff.

3. Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Oct 10, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I don't believe in this online music business. I still have to have something to hold and look at. I'm sure I'll get on board in 10 years or so. Thanks for the Phil Woods album info, though. I'll keep my eye out for it.

Hot damn, that rhapsody has a lot of stuff. Got a lot of hits for that song. Noticed one by Art Farmer, one by Tony Bennet. Thanks for pointin' me in that direction TGP. Maybe I'll get on board with this online music stuff.

4. You may want to check this out.