1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dull, muffled low E string

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by raspberries, Oct 29, 2010.

1. raspberries

raspberries

Oct 29, 2010
    Hi All. I have recently retrieved my short scale Samick bass from a long stint in the shed, shouted it its first ever set of new strings - Thomastik JF324 Flatwound Jazz Strings. I am thrilled by the tone of these new strings but I am having a problem with the low E string - The sound from this string is very muffled/muted/dull compared to the other three strings. Can anyone help me diagnose this problem? Could it be a problem with the pickups? With the set-up/ action of the strings? :help:

2. TGLbass

TGLbass

Aug 20, 2010
    Short scale- Samick - shed- Flatwound --Dude.

3. raspberries

raspberries

Oct 29, 2010
    Just trying to do the best I can with what is to hand. I am easily pleased.;)

4. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    I didn't really believe it when I read it but I tried it and it worked. Detune the E slightly, press firmly on both sides of the bridge saddle to put a kink in the string, and retune. Damndest thing but my Waterstone sounds great now.

5. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    This is one of the downsides of a short scale. Sorry, but it just may be inherent.