Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dull roundwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jeff Moote, Feb 9, 2002.

1. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I currently use GHS boomers, which I do like. I like the tone and feel, but when new they are WAY too bright. My tone knob at 0 and it's too bright for me. So... I let them die for a month (or more) and they sound AMAZING. I really like them just after they die, because they are still really punchy.

Does anyone have any suggestions for dull(er) nickels, that have a punchy tone like boomers?

Thanks, MP

2. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I have D addarios,and after 2-3 weeks they lost their brightness,which i guess is what you want.I had the d addario xl's.

3. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Yeah, I know, but my boomers do that. I want them to do that out of the package, and stay that way for at least a couple months. Like somewhat bright flatwounds (GHS brite flats) but with nickel-round feeling.

4. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    i've heard of elixer strings sounding like that, you might wanna do a search or something.

5. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I'm really liking the DR Sunbeams I've got on my 5 right now. You can tell they're roundwounds, but they don't ring and rasp unless you want them to.

The 4 (a Peavey Patriot, great cheap bass from 1987!) has a set of DR Hi-Beams that must be at least 2 years old. They're still plenty bright!

6. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    haha, yeah. Boomers aren't bright after 2 years, but after a few months, plenty bright.

Maybe elixers, I did a search.

Thanks for the help, amy more?

7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Try a set of D'Addario Slowounds

8. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Thanks Mike, but can you tell me why. If you give me good reason I'll probably try them, as I've heard good things before, but nothing about this inherently "dull" quallity I am looking for.

9. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Slowounds are very balanced and warm. They have what I would call a semi-bright high end. They did seem to hold their tone well but they were not bright enough for me. This was on a Fender Jazz Bass through an Ampeg Ba115 combo.

10. Maybe you should give TI Jazz Flats a try. They have the presents of rounds without the harshness.

11. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    WOW! thanks for all the replies guys, you're really helpful.

Well, I don't really want flats, but thanks for the suggesion.

Not enough brightness for you is probably what I want. I think slowwounds are what I'll get if I can find some.

Thanks all :)

12. AndersK2

AndersK2

Sep 11, 2000
    You should try TI Jazz Roundwounds.
    Before I got them, I thought that Slowounds were the best I have tried, and I like a dark sounding string.
    These strings (TI) are mellow and fullbodied, and you can dial up a little more bite, with the tone controls, if you wish.
    They have a low tension though, since they are quite thin, and everybody doesn´t like that, but I do.
    They have a silk wrapping inside the string, like the flats also.

13. I've had the same problem you guys have been having.

I'm going to try some of the strings next time I go and buy some.

14. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Try the TI flats, they are not like any normal flats.
    I think you'd like them.

15. TI Jazz Flats sound a lot like roundwounds, but without the trebbly zing. I just ordered some for my Modulus for this reason.