1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dull Strings and EQ pedal sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Alexdeth89, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Alexdeth89

Alexdeth89

May 7, 2012
    Hermosillo
    I've always had used passive basses and stainless strings directly to my amp and one thing I noticed is that when strings become dull, the sound from the amp will be also dull, it doesn't matter how much I tweak all knobs.

But since I got this nice 7 band eq pedal two months ago, I realized that when my strings go dull, they only sound dull when bass is unplugged because I still get a very nice sound and when I put new strings on it sounds better of course, but there's not like a big difference.
    Of course this is a good thing, :p I just can't explain why this happens.
    So what do you think, has it ever happened to you guys?

2. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    My cat's breath smells like cat food.

[​IMG]

4. I hate new strings. If I put new strings on I use my eQ to make them sound dull.

(5 year old chromes are perfect!)

:)

5. Steveaux

Steveaux Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    Regardless of what you think your EQ pedal is doing, once a frequency is gone at the source, it's gone. You can't "bring it back" with an EQ. You can, however, reduce the prevalent frequencies and boost the signal. This creates an illusion of "fresh strings", but it only works for so long.

6. [​IMG]

7. Dull strings sound dull

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Yes, that happens to me all the time. In fact, it happens to everyone 100% of the time!

8. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    LOL @ this thread!

9. MarcMurder

MarcMurder #IIAmerica

Mar 9, 2010
    El Paso, Texas
    "60% of the time it works every time"

lol'd so hard at this thread i now need to clean my laptop

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Oh, cut the kid some slack. He just learned something new to him.

11. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    I thought there is a pedal to make a dull string sounds new I can't remember the brand name, I think its by daring audio

12. Let's be nice to one another, kids. ;)

What frequencies are you boosting on the 7-band? It might be useful for you to remember that for the future.

Also, I'm guessing when you say dull you mean like 1 month broken-in and not a complete absence of treble, otherwise you wouldn't be able to bring them back again with the EQ.

13. Alexdeth89

Alexdeth89

May 7, 2012
    Hermosillo
    there's no mercy for noobs in here lol
    The frequencies i like to boost are 50hz, 4.5khz and 10khz. I set the volume level almost at the top

14. Don't sweat it Alex, this is the way we show our love!

Honestly, you bring up a good point that many overlook. An eQ as an "effect" seems pretty boring. But look at the power it has given you - maybe you wake up some oldtimers around here!

Keep messing around and you may stumble upon genius.

:bassist:

:)