1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dull, weak sounding E string - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by bherman, Apr 13, 2019.

1. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Hi all - I have a set of spiros on my mid-level chinese carved bass; weichs on A, D, G and medium E. The E is much weaker and sounds more dull, with less sustain and projection, than the 3 higher strings. It's hard for me to get to a good luthier (4+ hour drive) so am wondering if there's anything worth trying with string changes for the E. Any suggestions from the wizened string sages here on TB would be appreciated.

2. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    How old are the strings and how long has it been since a setup? If over a year bring it in

3. Jon Mush

Jon Mush

Jun 3, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB
    If a Spiro Mittel E over Weichs isn’t doing it, then make the drive. I would think it’s more setup related. Take the bass in for a checkup.

I have a mittel E over Weichs and it’s at least borderline too lively over Weichs.

4. bherman

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    4-5 yrs, has been well over a year since last check-up..

5. bherman

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO

ok thx - looks like a trip is in the cards.

6. It could also be a bass thing. My Shen was kinda choked by a Spiro Mittel E when it had one on, but a Weich E helped open the bass up a lot and is plenty strong on my bass. YMMV though as each bass has its own unique quirks.

7. bherman

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    I still have the Weich E sitting around - I'll put it on and see if it makes a difference. In any event, as others have reminded me I am long overdue to have the bass looked over.

8. Soundpost issue, most likely.

Sean Riddle and Sam Dingle like this.
  9. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    Are you are talking pizz? Some basses just have a light sounding ungrowling E and the sound post location does not make much difference. Yes a sound post adjustment may help, at the expense of the higher end punch. Some basses have a huge low end with light top end, and some have a full top end and light low end. I have one of each.

A stark Spiro E is the growliest string for pizz. I have some Spiro starks and mittels that are very old and still sound great for pizz. Weich is light so that may be going in the wrong direction.

You may have to accept the limitations, or accept the abilities, of your bass.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019 at 10:37 PM
    bherman likes this.
  10. logdrum

logdrum Formerly known as noelpaz Supporting Member

As the player, bass will always sound not as full unless you are blessed with good acoustics and even then you may not really hear what the audience hears