Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dulling a finish?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Stu L., Jan 27, 2005.

1. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I just got a project back from the paint shop, and it's almost too shiny. Any ideas on how to retain the gloss, but knock it down a bit? I was thinking maybe steel wool or a high # sand paper. Thanks.

2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Use a scotch brite pad. Be careful which one they come in colors the colors corespond to the different "grits" The white ones are the finest "grit" try and auto body paint supply store or Woodcrafters......t

3. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Add fingerprints.

Watch the scratchy stuff. :scowl:

It might have a lot of wax and polish schmang on it. Maybe try some automotive grease and wax remover and go back over it with a lesser siliconized polish.

4. Get some polishing compound - the white stuff like Turtle Wax in the green can - and give it a buffing. It will work backwards from what it would do if the finish were rough. Since the very top of your current finish is absolutely smooth, the abrasives will put just the finest scratches in the surface - much finer than a scotchbrite pad - and that will take the shine off.

I just had the unfortunate task of having to polish out a place in a gloss black finish where some solvent had raised the film layer. After wetsanding with 1500 grit, I went to the polishing compound. Since the rest of the back of the instrument was still pretty new, I had to polish the whole back to make it all look proper. The compound made the area I sanded shine nicely but it definitely looked less glossy than the areas around it, hence the additional buffing.

5. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    polishing compound would be a good idea..t

6. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I was thinking the same thing. Thanks Hammy, and to the others that replied. After looking at it this morning, I may just leave it. I think it's growing on me ;)