Dumb ass Non-Luthier custom build question! LOL!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner [DB]' started by AllFifths, Feb 14, 2021.

1. AllFifths

AllFifths

Apr 20, 2020
    Hey all,
    Been curious about an idea and I may have a custom made so I wanted to ask...

I had a Warwick Fretless (88) and a Dolphin (91) for years and the necks radius were pretty flat; I personally loved it. I also notice that classical guitars are pretty much flat necks...

My question is this; it seems compound radius necks are mostly for comfort, the radius increases toward the body/high notes...why isn't it the reverse? for bending and vibrato, the curvature seems more likely to cause fretting out...for comfort and chording, it makes sense. Would it be a bad idea to try to get a reverse radius (curved at the nut frets and flat at the pick up frets?) Thanks!

2. stefaniw80401

stefaniw80401 Supporting Member

May 18, 2004
    Evergreen, Colorado
    Your desire is the way it should be -- like the way a double bass fingerboard is -- a conical radius.

What basses are you finding that are NOT like this?

3. AllFifths

AllFifths

Apr 20, 2020
    Just about every bass I've played the neck gets rounder (tighter radius) as you go higher...maybe I wasn't clear about the question...? I've never seen a bass or guitar that gets flatter as you go towards the higher frets...

4. AllFifths

AllFifths

Apr 20, 2020
    Ok, so weird...

I've been looking up compound radius to make sure I made sense! LOL!

Setup a Compound Radius Guitar — Haze Guitars

I could (maybe wrongly) swear that ALL my basses get rounder as I go up to the higher frets...

Where I'm going with this is that I want to design a neck that is completely flat by the 12 fret...does anyone know a manufacture who makes bass with neck profiles like this...?

5. stefaniw80401

May 18, 2004
    Evergreen, Colorado
    Aren't most ebass necks constant width and radius? This is the way my Spector Q4 fretless, Fender P-bass, and Carvin BB-70 basses are. If they aren't, then maybe I'm not sensitive enough to notice the radius tightening up the neck.

6. stefaniw80401

May 18, 2004
    Evergreen, Colorado
    Looks like my last response crossed your response (#5) crossed yours (#4).

With regards to the flattening of the FB by the 12th fret, would this create an uneveness in the action across the board at that point? The A and D strings would be much higher than the E and G.

7. AllFifths

AllFifths

Apr 20, 2020
    ...maybe? That seems to make sense. So far my favorite neck was my Warwick Dolphin which was basically flat...

8. stefaniw80401

May 18, 2004
    Evergreen, Colorado
    I read that article you linked to. It suggests a "graduated" string action strategy that minimizes the problems.

Personally, I think it would be more interesting on ebass to have a conical board geometry that gets wider as you go higher. Similar to upright necks. Then you'd get consistent action through the range of the bass, and a broader radius as you go up.

See product-details

AllFifths likes this.
  9. AllFifths

AllFifths

Apr 20, 2020
    I feel like I've seen some "experimental" builders do this...if I'm understanding, it kind of looked like a mini upright on an electric bass...will see if I have a pic...

10. stefaniw80401

May 18, 2004
    Evergreen, Colorado
    Hey, I'm sorry -- I just looked at my ebasses again, and the necks do get wider. I am also assuming that the radii also broadens in conical fashion, but now I don't know what I'm talking about. But I am interested in this topic that you brought up. Please keep the thread going.

AllFifths likes this.
  11. AllFifths

AllFifths

Apr 20, 2020
    Thanks! I'll do what I can!

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021