Dumb-ass Stories

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Don Higdon, Nov 10, 2001.

1. People insist on coming up to me and telling what they think are great bass anecdotes that they expect me to believe. Two recent:

A guy tells me "You know Major Holley? I saw him and his bass was held together with friction tape." (Like where, on a one-nighter in Saskatoon?)Monday, I worked with Eddie Berg, who used to work with Major. He laughed.

Same place, another guy says "Just before a job was starting, the guy's bridge broke. Ya know what he used? A cigar box that the bartender gave him!"

Has anyone else been forced to put up with dumb-assed stories from club customers?
  2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Sometimes I think I have a sign on my back that says"I'll believe anything you tell me."It seems no matter where I go I attract idiots that think they can make up the most far fetched story,and Ill believe it.
    Most of the time I'll respond "......oh really? Wow,thats amazing..........." and try to get away from them asap.Ime if you dispute someones "story",you'll never get rid of them.
  3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I always like the ones that come up and say "I played with <insert famous band/musician name>"...and usually it's such an outrageous and blatant lie that you have to work hard not to laugh in their face. I'll never forget the guy that said he'd co-written all Clapton's hit tunes. I saw him later, out behind the club, chopping up a Vivarin tablet to snort because he couldn't scam or buy a line.