Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dumb cab Q

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dr.Death, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Dr.Death

Dr.Death

Oct 25, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Whats generally better/Whats the differences between more smallcones (4x10") or less bigger ones (2x12")?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    In general, small cones emphasize higher frequencies and larger cones lower frequencies.

Either one is good (as is a single 15) you just have to find a cabinet that produces the tone that you like.

3. different people like different things, i prefer 15''s for their gut churning lows and boomyness. i have 3 cabinets with 15's in them 2 yorkvilles and a 2x15 i made myself. ive only owned one 4x10 it was a crate. i didn't like it, it was heavy and sucked so it turned me off tens.

4. I like the 410 sound. Mine are heavy, though. GK410's.
    I had an old Fender 2-15 cab that I miss though. You just could not blow this thing up!! Gig after gig it sounded great.

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Keep in mind that a lot of 10's will go deeper than other 10's, and a lot of 15's go deeper than other 15's, and some 10's go lower than 15's.

Its all generalizations so keep that in mind.

My Eden 210XST cabs go lower than any 15 Ive played through. Most 10's dont though.

Peace
    Nick