Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dumb Custom Buyers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickbass, Jul 10, 2001.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Evidently, this maker isn't taking any more orders due to the naivete of many customers. Or maybe he had a bad week.

Click on the "Hembrook Custom Basses and Guitars" hyperlink to see the "News Flash."

www.hembrook.com

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

They used burled Mesquite for tops, Mesquite for the neck and Texas Ebony for the fingerboards.

Talk about different!:)

Too bad that a few ignorant customers made them decide not to make instruments anymore.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I can't access the page at all.

Haven't heard of Hembrook either.

4. rickbass

That flipped me, too. When I think "mesquite" I don't think "basses," I think "steaks on the grill."

But you never know. I've seen some types of persimmon talked about as electric instrument woods. I would draw the line at pine though :eek:

JMX - Sorry I can't explain why it won't work for you. I guess the name with "guitars" in a search engine might do it for you.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    They do have a few good points made there in that news flash. I am sure other custom builders probably run into the same types of problems, too.

6. rickbass

Would one of them have the initials, "DP"? :D

What galls me, (and I think Dave, too), is people who sign off on their final spec's then want to change them a couple times after work is already well on its way. I had some jerks pull that in the corporate world, but they outranked me. :(

7. Too bad. Them basses were Y2K compliant and everything... :D

So, now they'll only make knives? ;)

8. DP Custom

DP Custom DP Custom Basses

Feb 7, 2001
    NC, USA

boy did that sound familiar...i can really sympathize!...

maybe my tolerance level is just a bit higher....
    at least so far... ;)

DP

9. rickbass

AH-HA!!! I was wondering if you had time to drop by for this one, Dave.

Your website's statement about requests for your work using others' body styles and not having the lawyers to handle it resonated when I found that site. Or, as I call them, "custom knockoffs."

I always envisioned the people making those requests being in bands named something like, "Limp Muffin" or "U2.2" and playing nothing but note perfect covers.

10. I understand the complaint by luthiers about people wanting them to make carbon copies of instruments, however I have another side to the coin.

Some manufacturers build basses that I love but with a few things that would keep me from buying the bass. For instance, I would love to have a Stingray 5.....however I would want it to be neck-thru, a 35" scale, and have graphite reinforced neck with a tilt back headstock. But I'd like it to appear the same as a stingray 5.

Since almost no respected luthiers will do such a thing, I will probably never own a "Stingray 5", which is a shame.

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I can really understand when luthiers don't want to do 'ridiculous' options or a clone of another brand bass. It can wreak havoc on your reputation.

I remember when Jackson showed some basses at the Frankfurt Musikmesse that were almost identical copies of German bass company Marleaux's Consat series basses. A lot of German bassists who are huge Marleaux fans were just furious! The Marleaux guys tried to talk to the Jackson executives, but they just shrugged and turned their backs on them. They had nothing to fear because it's impossible for a small company (Marleaux is operated by two people) to afford and win a lawsuit in the U.S against a large manufacturer.
    But the basses didn't sell at all, and were discontinued the next year, at least for the German market. And Jackson never again got a foot in the German bass market.

So guys, be easy on our luthiers, we need them!
    Be realistic with your wishes.

12. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    This is exactly why I am taking the time to talk to people(Dave P. included), read up on stuff, and do some serious thinking before I finalize my specs and send him a deposit.

ALso, I am being careful in my body and headstock design NOT to make an exact copy of another company's bass. I might take an idea from here and there and change it a bit, but the idea here is to have a CUSTOM instrument. If I wanted one that looked like someone else's, I would save myself the wait and go buy from that company.

13. This website reminds me of the notice published last winter by Ted Smith who makes Melobro (resophonic) and Melobar (lap steel). Ted said that he was so tired of getting harassed by some customers that he was going to post a weekly update of the status of each instrument on order. If anybody pressured him in the future, he was going to box all the parts and ship them to the customer with a refund for the balance of the deposit. Some people don't know the difference between a factory and an individual or small shop. If you want an assembly line instrument go to Mars or Guitar Center. If you want a custom instrument, deal with the luthier like a human being.

14. rickbass

I herd det! There is also such a thing as being fair to yourself and other customers, too.--- i.e, if someone wants to monkey around with their spec's AFTER work is well on its way, the luthier should tell that person they get pushed to the back of the production line, if the changes would otherwise delay the finish dates on others' instruments. Others, who have had the sense, maturity, and consideration of others to do ALL their homework in advance and get their spec's solid.

Dave Pushic told me he has been burned on wood in the past by people who give him their wood spec's, Dave buys the wood, then the customer changes the game on the wood.

I guess I'd never make it as a luthier. I'd say, "Buddy, you just bought some boards."

15. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I am with you on that one.:D:D

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    RE Dumb Custom buyers:

Oh sweet Jesus, don't let me be one!...I feel really bad now... I asked Dave about making a, ah, simmilar body shape of a previously existing bass...now you guys are making me feel bad. Maybe I'd better go draw up some new plans. Thanks a heap.:rolleyes:;):)

17. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    There is a difference between being a little similar to another design and being an exact copy. Mine might look a little similar to a couple different basses when it is all done, but it will be different enough to still call it my own design.

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    True...Mines gonna sorta end up like that as well...it's gonna have some other designs in it, but it'll be an original for sure...

19. shakey_slim

shakey_slim

Jan 3, 2001
    Spokanistan
    "I remember when Jackson showed some basses at the Frankfurt Musikmesse that were almost identical copies of German bass company Marleaux's Consat series basses."

Hey JMX.

Do you have any more info on this? I recently ran across one of those Jacksons (Jackson JPB 8) and I've been trying to dig up info on them. I've hit the Jackson site and mined the links, but this is the first I've heard of them being a Marleaux copy.