1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dumb GAS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    How many times have you bought a bass on a whim, only to regret that you did it? I'm feeling that way right now.:oops:

2. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Been there. Also sold and regretted it. Also didn't buy/regretted that. Sigh. What'd you buy and regret??

3. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Thankfully I haven't done that yet. I usually brood over a bass for months before I pick it up, and try to figure out a way I can buy it. There's been a couple of times I've had buyer's remorse, but then it goes away after I gig the bass a few times.

4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have a Squier Active Jazz Deluxe V on the way. It's a great bass for the money that I just don't need or really want. I said I would get it and Fender Precision V, but the Squier is $300 that I could have put to better use.:rollno:

5. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Can't it still be returned or refused??

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It's a local dealer who would only take it a return for equal value or as cash towards something else.

7. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Maybe you could look at as a gift certificate toward that store?

8. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    It wasn't totally on a whim, but in 2004 I bought an immaculate '99 American Deluxe Precision I knew I didn't need. I soon found it just wasn't for me, but at least I learned something in the process. Last year, I bought a 1x15 cab as a 40th birthday present to myself, even though I'd been happily "married" to my G-K Neo112 for over two years. It was an extravagance, and a total waste for my needs. Even though it's a very nice cab, I regretted it shortly after I bought it.

9. Dr. Cheese,
    What did you buy, and what don't you like about it?

-Steve

10. djwackfriz

djwackfriz

Jul 31, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Hey Cheese, you know the cure for this disease!

Everytime I get GAS, I just buy another Peavey! :cool:

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's not a bad idea. They are cheaper and I always like them except I am tired of J/MM Millenniums.:cool:

12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is pretty much what it has come to. The only problem is that the only things I would really want would cost well over $1,000 like a Precision V or a Fender Jazz Deluxe V with a maple fingerboard. The only things fairly cheap I might want would be a Fender Jazz 24/V, a Geddy Lee, or a Reggie Hamilton Jazz.

13. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Same here, brother. I've been down all those roads more times than I can recall. The upside of this is I've learned to live pretty GAS-free now and am very, very cautious about buying anything I may not need or want down the road.

Plus, it taught me that I am happiest and have everything I need with a simple passive 4-banger.

That said, I'd STILL love to have a hollowbody and a fretless. ARGH!

14. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I've done this qute a few times. Fortunately, I'm an avid bargain hound without alot of disposable income, so for me dumb GAS purchases are usually quite inexpensive, and as much the prospect of scoring a good deal on a new toy, as it is the specific product.

I don't always think through everything, so while buy them thinking that it will be "just what I need", and few of these kinds of purchases get kept, most don't. However, so far I've yet to have an implulse buy that I wasn't able to turn around for a small profit or break even.

Here's most of my turn-around impulses from the past 4 years that were back out the door less than a year after purchase. Most were fairly good products, but just not for me:
    MIK Squier Jazz
    SVT 215E
    84 Peavey Fury
    MIJ Squier Bullet
    Carvin RL 1000
    SX SJB 75 5er
    SX SJB62
    Aria Pro II CSB380

15. More times than I care to count.
    Current circumstances should prevent me from any further such adventures. Note the italics. :rollno:

16. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Likewise.

17. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Been there a few times. Maybe not total regret, but more like, "I don't dig this as much as I thought I would".

I frequently battle serious GAS issues. My latest hit was a brand-new G&L ASAT hollowbody (black w/ tinted maple). I just got it and haven't had a chance to give it a real run yet.

Past "regrets"...
    - TBC 400MM - Decent bass for the price, but never felt right.
    - 1980 G&L L1000 - Big sound, but really heavy and never comfortable to play. Sold to fund other things.
    - 1968 Gibson EB-2 - A great contrast to the Fender sound, and great for recording, but the skinny neck and short scale were just too different for me.
    - Yamaha BB605 - Very nice bass for the price, but I'm just not a 5'er guy.

18. beta_442

beta_442

Apr 7, 2008
    Hillsboro, OR
    I experienced this after buying one of those Laguna Ocean basses at GC. I had a gut ache for a week. My decision came down to comparing apples to apples and excluding the name on the headstock. After practicing twice a week and gigging with it for the last 3 months, I'm glad I bought it. I get complements every time I play. The tone and sustain is just amazing. I know the feeling of regret, but in this case, I'm glad it worked out for me.

19. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX

I bought a Bongo 5 HHP brand new. I had to order it and it took 3 months to get to me.. After I ordered it, I began to experience some buyer's remorse, but I'd had to pay for it up front so the money was already spent.

When it arrived it took about 15 minutes for the buyer's remorse to evaporate into the aether. I very glad I bought that bass and didn't try to back out on it.

YMMV.

20. Had major GAS for a Ric 4003 ever since highschool. Purchased one 5 years later when I finally had the funds. Totally not what I had expected it to be. I even preferred the playability of my MIM fender Jazz over it by far, as well as the tone.

After months of debating what to do with it, the Ric finally went out the door a week ago. Now I miss it:confused:

What does this prove? I am one indecisive SOB, plus i think i was just in love with the looks of it and the fact that i owned a "legendary" instrument. oh well.

Other examples of "Dumb Gas" occur every other time i visit the rondo site.