1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dumb idea to combine combo and cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dean5master, Jun 14, 2007.

1. dean5master

dean5master

Feb 20, 2005
    Right now i play through a hartke 1x15 in 120 watts 8 ohms combo amp. right now i have about 300 hundred bucks to spend. Tomorrow i will be checking on a used Peavy 4x10 700w for $230. until i have enough money for a nice head, is it ok to use my Hartke combo to power the cabinet? I kno alot of my friends have done this in the past but I want to make sure i dont hurt anything. thanks

2. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    If it has an extension speaker out, and the peavey you're looking at is 8 ohms, then you're fine-- The combo wouldn't have an ext. out if it couldn't get down to 4 ohms.

Peace.

3. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Agreed, but it wouldn't hurt to look. There will normally be an indication of the minimum ohm load right next to the speaker out jack.

As long as you don't go below the minimum load, your plan will work fine. However, you don't have a ton of wattage (120 at 8 ohms won't be any more than 240 at 4 ohms, maybe less), so manage your expectations. You will get more output, but it will not be an arena-rocking difference.

Good luck.

4. unkaholic

unkaholic

Apr 2, 2007

this is not always true. i have an old traynor combo amp that has an internal 8 ohm speaker and an extension speaker out, but it also clearly states that the minimum ohm load is 8 ohms. what is the point of the extension speaker out then? who knows.

it's probably ok on your amp, but be sure to check the ohms. if the amp does go down to 4 ohms and the peavy cab is 4 ohms you'll wreck the combo if you use them together unless you can disconnect the internal speaker then you could use the combo amp to drive the peavy cab. you won't really get any more volume in regards to power output, but with more speakers you'll move more air and that will help with how loud it sounds.

5. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    ... What they said.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021