Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dumb kid as dumb question about ohms, watts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rhcp17, Oct 19, 2002.

1. rhcp17

rhcp17

Oct 1, 2001
    pennsylvania usa
    Well first off i just wanna say thank you to anyone who posted info to me on my last thread. I think im going to get an avatar B410 the 4 x 10, and the Hartke 3500 head. But i have aquestion. I dont entirley understand how the whole power deal works. The cabinet says The Eminence Delta 10's have 56 oz magnets and 2.5 inch voice coils and are rated at 300 watts RMS each speaker. The four 10's combined are rated at 1200 WATTS RMS. And is available in ONE of the following: 4, 8, or 16 ohm mono.(i copy and pasted). And then the Hartke says it can handle 250 watts per side at 8 ohms. So my question is how many watts total would i be getting? i also checked the faq's already and it was a little confusing, so any help would be GREATLY, GREATLY, appriechiated. Thank you

2. The speaker ratings tell you two things: what the speaker can handle (how many watts) and what impedance the speakers have (ohms). The lower the impedance, the more current the speaker will draw from the amp. When you put multiple speakers together in parallel, the impedance goes down (lower number of ohms). Many amps cannot handle an impedance lower than 4 ohms.

The speaker can only draw what the amp can produce. Your Hartke will put 350 watts into 4 ohms and 240 watts into 8 ohms, according to the Hartke website. Although there are two jacks on the back, they are in parallel, not two channels. If you plug one 8 ohm cabinet into your amp, the amp will produce 240 watts. If you plug two 8 ohm cabinets in, the total impedance has dropped to 4 ohms, and your amp will put out its full 350 watt capability. Plug more cabinets in--or plug in two 4 ohm cabs--you may fry the amp since the amp isn't designed to work into 2 ohms.

Bottom line: plug in one 4 ohm cab or two 8 ohm cabs. Hope this helps, I didn't want to go into an electrical theory class.