Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dumb lefty question about adjusting truss rod

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by phxlbrmpf, Nov 12, 2005.

1. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    On Gary Willis' site, it says in order to loosen the truss rod (to counteract buzz on the first five frets) you need to turn the truss rod counter-clockwise.
    Being a lefty, this clockwise and counter-clockwise thing has always been confusing me, plus there's the added question if he means "counter-clockwise when holding your bass and looking at the headstock" or "counter-clockwise when holding the neck and looking down at the fretboard". I noticed that in the picture, he's turning the wrench in the direction of the D and G strings.

As I'm a lefty, does this mean I'll have to turn the truss rod towards the A and E strings? :help:
    Every time I try adjusting my truss rod, my leftiness keeps confusing me. Can someone help? :meh:

2. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    You want to slacken off the truss rod on a left handed bass, yes?

If your truss rod adjustment is at the headstock end of the neck... yes. If it's at the other end... no.

Lefty loosy, righty tighty :D

You should be able to tell by feel whether you're tightening it or slackening it! Turn through no more than about 90 degrees (a quarter turn...duh) and see what happens. You should find, if you've slackened it off, that there's a little more relief (the action is slightly higher) and hopefully less buzz.

Does that help any?

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    If you have the manual, then check the manual.
    Most usually, tightening is clockwise and loosening is counterclockwise, but there are exceptions (one-way rods, for example), so checking the manual is highly recommended