1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dumb move by Comcast

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by OldDog52, Jul 16, 2014.

1. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    For as long as I can remember Comcast's west coast subscribers have gotten the east coast feeds of networks like AMC. So a show like Walking Dead that airs at, say, 9PM on the east coast, simultaneously airs at 6PM on the west coast.

Well they abruptly changed the west coast to 3 hours delay. So the show that airs at 9PM local time on the east coast now also airs at 9PM local time on the west coast. Three hours later. This is supposed to be "Great News!" because someone at Comcast thinks there's still such a thing as "Prime Time Viewing".

Apparently nobody at Comcast (or the affected networks) understands that one of the last advantages the cable company has over competitors is the ability to unveil a new episode of a popular show like The Walking Dead simultaneously to the entire country. So everyone (who wants to) gets to watch it for the first time, at the same time.

By delaying the west coast, it means some of us won't see the shows we like for at least 24 hours due to the time shifting.

Well hell, if I can't get the big premiere on Comcast, then I might as well cut the cord because as soon as I'm forced to time-shift, I have other options that will cost less than Comcast. I can go to iTunes and pay only for exactly what I want to see, not 300 channels I never watch just so I can get what I do want, when I want it.

Bah.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
    MJ5150 likes this.
  2. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    notion-ink-adam-to-have-replaceable-batteries-fcc-cert-one-week-ahead-of-schedule_1.

Comcast cares 0. Comcast is getting more of a government granted monopoly!

adi77 and Z -Bar like this.
  3. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Broadcast television is soon to be a thing of the past.
    Should all be streaming within 10 years.

4. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    And I still won't have a TV.

shorty4life likes this.
  5. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    [​IMG] Screen Shot 2014-07-16 at 4.32.06 PM.

More like "Now you can watch primetime when WE say you can"

MJ5150 likes this.
  6. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    I have it all. It's expensive.

7. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    21st century fox bid 80 billion to buy time warner time warner rejected the offer what is this ebay

8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If it weren't for live baseball (streaming blacks out the local teams) all I would do is stream.

9. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    I lived in Kentucky in Central Time Zone for a couple of months. Prime time started at 7:30 PM. Coming from EST my whole life, it was like I stepped into a virtual timezone of the future.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I feel the same way. I saw the 'great news' headline, read the article, and said to myself 'great news for who? this is crap'.

-Mike

Eric Perry likes this.
  11. I haven't had Comcast in six years, but back then we had it worse. I'm in the Mountain time zone so something premiering at 10 pm ET should begin at 8 pm MT. However, for whatever reason, Comcast delayed our premiers by one hour beyond ET. So if it premiered at 10 pm ET, it showed up at 11pm MT. It wasn't every channel, only things like Comedy Central, VH1, MTV, etc, that would occassionally show "risque" programming. My guess is due to living in Utah, they were worried about complaints due to content being shown earlier in the evening and made the change. It was ridiculous and was one of the many reasons I switched to satellite before cutting the cord altogether.

12. Wait until they manage to get net neutrality laws tossed. And they will. The same cable companies also are the Internet providers for most of us, and they are freaking out because after years of rate hikes on the cable side, they start losing customers to new ways of watching the same programming, and it's on the other side of their business; the side that they currently can't charge more for.

Without competition, the cable/Internet companies can continue to provide horrible service that is overpriced.

Unrepresented, yodedude2 and DerHoggz like this.
  13. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Oh man, Utah...

14. OP, if it's important enough to you and you can afford to unbundle, check out Dish Network. When I last had Dish (a few years ago) they carried east coast feeds of almost everything, including AMC and Comedy Central. That was important to me because I could see new South Park episodes at 7 pm.

15. When I lived in Central time, I really enjoyed getting "prime time" earlier, since I could stay up long enough to watch stuff. I live in Mountain Time now, and evening news comes on at 10:00 PM and Letterman at 10:35. MUCH better than news at 11. That's too late for me - I'm crashed out by then because I work a regular gig.

IMO "prime time" as defined by the networks is too late in the evening. Anything after 10 PM gets late for people with real jobs.

16. LazyGecko

LazyGecko

Nov 19, 2013
    AT&T never failed me :D

17. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    I'm looking at both Dish and DirecTV as alternatives to Comcast. I fully acknowledge that this is a "first world problem" but it's the principle of the thing: Comcast charges too much, and now they're taking away the one thing I liked about them. If I'm going to continue paying exorbitantly for TV, I might as well get exactly what I want.

18. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area
    Comcast is the biggest a-hole company around. Can't wait to cancel when I move soon and won't be signing back up again when I get somewhere else.

19. I'm not a Dish salesperson, but the 13+ years that I had Dish were the most satisfying years of my TV addiction ever. Only a few tech problems in that time. I've had Comcast for a little over two years and have had more tech glitches in that time that the whole time I had Dish.

I actually caught Comcast upgrading me when I specifically told them I didn't want the upgrade and was in fact downgrading. It happened just like the phone call. Three months later, I found I had all these extra channels and they gave me Showtime and HBO (plus the package I never signed up for) free for a year.

20. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    I trust people have head heard this nightmare of a call to Comcast customer service. If you haven't, witness Ryan Block calling Comcast to cancel his service. He encountered an overly aggressive customer retention rep who was so unhelpful that he felt compelled to record the encounter to document the horrendous experience.