Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dumb Newbie to Pre and Power amps.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by James reeve5, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Cross my fingers here...I just finished getting together my first Pre (Demeter) and Power (QSC RMX) amp setup. All I need to know is which kind of cable should I use to connect the pre amp to the power amp? A speaker cable? a different kind of cable? what gauge is reccomended? Could I use an XLR connection, or a 1/4" connection?

I am lost! :confused:

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    When all else fails, read the manuals

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe

Mar 4, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Instrument cables to connect the amps. Speaker cable to the speaker. Like the above post, just read the owner's manual.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Like Steeltoe says...instrument cable (as short as possible) from preamp to poweramp and speaker cable from power amp to speaker

Use good quality cables and size the speaker cable in accordance with the manual's recommendation (or go with 14 AWG or larger)

1/4 in. should be fine preamp to poweramp.

I don't know Demeter equipment...but I seem to recall reading that they have an internal output level control to match them to the input sensitivity of the poweramp....here's where the manuals will really come in handy.

Have fun...and don't worry, we're here to help!

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    A manual didn't come with my Demeter.

6. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
  7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have looked there before and this is no manual for the VTBP 201 model listed. If anyone has one, I would like to have a copy.

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    James!!

Hey, I know where you got that preamp...

;)

...simple answer to your question: Use a standard 1/4" guitar cable, with the shortest length that will work. The guage is not overly important as it is a short distance of cable, and a low-power signal.

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Just got this info from Life Effects on Tues. (where I'm buying my QSC PLX) -

"...In the case of a preamp signal, EQ, Crossover, Distribution amp, mixing console or any thing for input signal, just good shielded input grade cable is usually sufficient to do the job."

Unless you're keeping your rig far from your speakers for some weird reason, why not just get a short length and keep the cost down???

As for the type of connector, I don't see any reason not to use 1/4". I recently bought an Aguilar preamp which uses 1/4", (thank you, Mardi Gras Boy, Gard!) and Aguilar makes no compromises when it comes to sound quality........or price :rolleyes:

10. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    Hey Gard

I bought my preamp from you too!!!:D