Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dumb Power Amp Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JES, Mar 16, 2004.

1. JES

JES Supporting Member

Hi All,

I have a couple questions about pre/poweramp setups. Right now, I use an Eden WT-400.

1. Can you run an amp "bridged" into more than one speaker? some have ratings for 2.6 ohms, which suggests that users would run them into an 8 ohm and a 4ohm cabinet at the same time. But I thought you could only run a power amp into a single cab in bridged mode(?).

2. Since most power amps are stereo on both input and output (correct me if I'm wrong), how do you get a mono out from your bass pre into the power amp's stereo inputs?

Thanks.

--JES

2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio

1. The amp doesn't know or care how many speakers are connected to it, as long as the load impedance is in the amp's appropriate range. Amps that can handle 2 ohms or more on each channel can drive a load of 4 ohms or higher in bridged mono.
    2. If the amp's inputs can be connected in parallel, then the one input signal will go into both channels. Or you can use a Y cable.