Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dumb question about tuning

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BassesOfDeath, Sep 14, 2003.

1. BassesOfDeath

BassesOfDeath

Sep 13, 2003
    I have an electric tuner that has E,A,D,G tuning but I have no clue what like "tune E down one full step" means. Also how the heck would I tune down my bass to something like C,A,B,E ??

2. half step = 1 fret lower

Full step = 2 frets lower

Ok...say you wanted Drop D tuning...Fret the 2nd fret on E and tune that to E...

If you wanted E.flat tuning...fret the first fret and tune that to E.

Sorry....im confusing/confused

3. BassesOfDeath

BassesOfDeath

Sep 13, 2003
    No that helps a lot, thank you. Any one know how to tune like my E string to C though? :confused:

4. kcdbass

kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    Assuming your bass does not have "vintage reverse" tuners, simply pluck the string and rotate the machine head clockwise until the tuner reads "C" ... (assuming it tracks that low -- most do, i guess).

With all due respect though ... if you are confused by the simple prospect of tuning an open "E" to "C" ... you should slow down and probably learn to play in standard tuning FIRST. I can forsee you learning to play bass in some altered tuning ... and thirty years from now, your musical tastes may mature more, and you'll find yourself at a loss when sitting in with a bunch of blues cats at an open mike night ...

on the other hand, you may have a record deal in 6 months ... :eek:

I love altered tunings as much as the next guy -- I love Michael Manring's stuff -- but I am certain he learned the theory and foundation of music in standard tuning at the beginning of his musical journey.

Not to belabor that point, but I think that there's probably a ton of cats who play in altered drop tunings -- but I think there's a world of difference -- from a MUSICAL standpoint -- between a guy like FIELDY or whoever and a guy like Michael Manring. I view Fieldy's career choices of who he's able to play with as limited, but Manring's virtually unlimited.

I am pretty sure the controversial genius, Jeff Berlin would agree with me on this ...

It doesn't matter though ... playing music in any way, shape or form put you spiritually way ahead of all the people in this world who just cannot turn their attention away from "Wheel of Fortune."

Good luck.