1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

(Dumb Question) How much does the body wood really matters?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by GerManson, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Ok heres the story.

I got this ultra cheap bass not even knowing what brand it is as a gift from some guy i bought an amp once.

I plugged in to my rig just once and play it for about 40 seconds, it sounded HORRIBLE, so i just hang it on my wall and it stayed there like for a year.

Until one day i got the "wonderful" idea that i could use the body (jazz bass body) and build me a new bass, talked about that with my luthier and that seemed like a good idea to him too.

So few days later i bought this:

1 Fender Custom Shop Jazz Bass Pickup Set
    1 Fender Precision Original Pickup Set
    1 BadAss II Bridge
    1 Fender Precision Pickups Cover
    1 Fender Replacement Vintage Bass Nickel Tuner Set
    And Ordered some maple wood for building a new neck

The original idea was use the body from that cheap-ass i got last year and "pimp it" to get something like this

[​IMG]

But now i am thinking.. i am getting all this cool items, for a cool bass and I will be using a cheap body..

How much does the body wood really matters?

I have spent already too much money on this project, but guys if you tell me something like "YOU ARE CRAZY GET ONE GOOD BODY" i'll be buying some jazzbass ash body right away..

Help me please. :help: :help: :help:

2. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - PerĂº
    ARE YOU CRAZY?????? GET ONE GOOD BODY!!!!

:D

Kidding. Use the body you have. It will probably end up sounding just fine. If not then you can get a new body.

3. Oh Man, the typo in the thread title had me thinking it was about something totally different!:D

Edit: I realize you are from Mexico and wasn't meaning this in a language barrier sort of way. I wasn't making fun of you- I was making fun of the way my brain works sometimes!

4. I found myself in the same situation a few months ago.I was in the process of building my first parts bass(a precision bass that is still being upgraded but is still playable),anyways I'm fairly sure that the body wood is of the plywood variety.The bass sounds better than my $600 Ibanez and it is made of very low quality parts(pickups that cost around $7-$10,a bridge that looks like it may not even be metal,and a cheap plastic nut).I say go for it,you might end up with something you like,take the chance.

5. well.. . i feel like i got a hard decision to make here, anyone else?

6. dont worry dude, we are fine. :spit:

7. Huge

Huge Hell is full of musical amateurs. Like me.

Dec 2, 2005
    Edmonton
    I vote that you try it with the body you have. If you like it, great! If not, you can always buy a different body.

8. Oric

Oric

Feb 19, 2008
    Georgetown, Kentucky
    the body of my Dano '63 is made of plywood, the only solid piece of wood is under the bridge and around the edges/under the neck heel. The top is pressed wood. And it sounds great.

9. Maybe that is the kind of body i have, i guess i'll give it a try.
    Thank you so much!

10. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    In my opinion, the body wood does matter, but its effect completely pales in comparison to effect that the scale length, quality of the pickups, type of bridge/nut and abilities of the player have on the bass.

Having said that, I'd agree that you'll be just fine if you stick with using the body you have.