1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dumb question of the day-Poor mans Fodera??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brett7276, Mar 19, 2009.

1. brett7276

brett7276

Jan 14, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So..until recently I have always been a Spector or Jazz bass guy....but a friend of mine got a hold of a Fodera Emporer..It blew my mind..the vibe...Duncan Dual coils and I really dig the look...I'd have one except for the obvious two factors the price and the wait to get one...working in education, does not allow for 4-5K basses...plus I'd be nervous to gig with something of that value..So my question is -Is there a poor man's Fodera out there or a builder that would build one? I like the look and the particullary the dual coil/preamp tone, and super fast neck.. But I need to be in the $1000-2000 range ( might go $2500 for something really neat) Anybody have any suggestions? I did try one of the NYC basses....and it was cool, but it didn't blow my mind...

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you already have a nice Spector, fit it with Duncan Dual Coils and a passive bypass. Then buy an outboard Pope preamp. It would not be a Fodera, but I think you would get the essence of that sound on a budget.

3. As usual w/threads of more than 3 lines, I skimmed; that said, I saw *budget Fodera* & $1000-$2000. Stambaugh.

4. Joe.shaffer

Joe.shaffer

Nov 25, 2008
    Cabot, AR
    The way the used market is right now you might find something used in the upper end of your range.

5. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    You are unrealistic to think you get Fodera anything for 1 - 2k. NYC empire is off the table.... you weren't knocked out. That is about your only option and even a used NYC is going to be in the high $2ks.
    So that leaves you the task of finding an alternative. You have Fodera taste but a budget that says look at a Fender Roscoe Beck or Nino Valenti or Sadowsky Metro or many other basses. You have to do the research because I can suggest brands and models all day long, you are the one who has to play it and love it.

BTW, my opinion is that while the workmanship in Fodera is superior, you can get a great sounding instrument that plays very well for far less $ and really, sound difference has more to do with the player than the bass.

6. Dbassmon, I think you may be missing the point of the term *poor man's_______*. A poor man's Fodera is by definition, not a Fodera. That said, while I have not played a Fodera, I have had 3 Stambaughs built & owned a second hand one; all were phenomenal, & I have heard them compared w/Foderas on more than one occasion. My 3 cents. :)

Edit: R-Basses are quite similar(perhaps unethically close, I've heard); IIRC, the builder used to work for/with Fodera.

7. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Plus you can take solace in the fact that Vinni Fodera worked in Stuart Spector's shop back in the day. I'm sure there's some sliver of bass making knowledge in Fodera's current instruments that he picked up there.

It's going to take some imagination....

8. 82Daion

82Daion

Nov 14, 2006
    See sig. ;)

Seriously, though, STRs are kickass basses that I'd say are pretty much on par with the Foderas I've played. I've been nothing but impressed with mine, both live and in the studio, and the only reason I'm selling it is because I'm more of a fretless player.

They're not "budget Foderas." They're an alternative.

9. +1

10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    STR sounds like a winner. They are very nice!

11. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Tobias - Pre-Gibson Bassic's show up in the 2K range. Occasionally a Classic for $2500.
    If you look hard and luck is with you.

Fully equal to a Fodera in build quality IMO.
    2 dual coils with a nice preamp and a neck to die for.
    Not a "poor man's Fodera" - very much their own instrument, but completely comparable.

12. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    While Stambaugh is a fine bass.... it too is not a Fodera and therefore the OP must determine what is his definition of a "poor mans Fodera".
    While you have your opinion and I suggested a few to consider, the OP must figure out what will get as close to where he wants to be for the amount he has to spent, understanding that a real Fodera is off the table.

I think that Dr. Cheese gives very good advice. A Pope Pre and Duncan Dual Coils will get you very close to where you want to be and save the rest of your budget.

13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think that the swap of pickups and preamp, the STR, or Stambaugh will all work. OP, you just just have to ask yourself, which you want the most: the Fodera sound; or a new bass that reminds you of a Fodera.

Finally, R Basses are very much like Foderas also and much cheaper.

14. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    For a high value, low dollar handmade bass, another option might be Kinal. He makes a nice instrument, and will load it with whatever electronics you want, I think.

I also think Mike Lull could make you a nice bass with whatever package you wanted, as long as it was OK with you if it looked like a P or a J.

Nice choice of woods in those Lulls. (If you're like me and prefer a straightforward body of well-selected resonant solid ash or alder over a multi-lam body with a fancy, visually mind-blowing top that may or may not sound any good. More glue lines does not equal better sound.

I keep waiting for the NYC guys to move to Scranton or Boise and cut their prices in half. Or even Hoboken and cut 'em by a third already.

15. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    STR?
    R Bass?
    Looked in google...nothing.What am I ,missing?

16. 82Daion

82Daion

Nov 14, 2006
  17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    R Basses are made in Puerto Rico, I think, and look very much like Foderas. Check the For Sale Forum. There should be some old threads of some that were sold here.

BTW, that Pope Preamp is a pretty hefty investment. Unlike Sadowsky, it is a large, rack mounted unit. The two models run $1,149 and $1,549, but it would probably be a great investment for your rig.:)

18. brett7276

brett7276

Jan 14, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the feedback guys...I have been intrigued by the STR's also intrested in the Strambaughs (sp) but I have heard really mixed reviews on them...your help is much appreciated!

19. While I have no experience with STR since they're new and came outta virtually nowhere, but they seem to be well liked so far.

I dig Foderas, although I'm a bit of a bass whore, so if I can get 2 basses for the price of a Fodera, I'll explore that option. I'm not even remotely bashing Fodera, but let's face it they're so well known that demand is high and they can charge accordingly. In fact, I think it might be a correct assumption that their stiff price is to keep the demand from being overwealming for their building capabilities.

That being said, I had an opportunity to play a Fodera many years ago. It played amazing. My CB, though was not designed to sound anything like a Fodera, seems to play and have an extremely nice feel like a Fodera. They're entirely different basses (fretted 6 string Fodera vs. the fretless 4), but the quality is pretty darn close despite being half the price...and a long time ago, so things may be a tad fuzzy. Cliff may be a tad out of your price range, but I see no reason why he couldn't do a good job with it.

A pretty basic (options wise) Stambaugh might be a possibility, although the Pope pre-amp price is a bit stiff. I'll be picking up a Stambaugh with EMG PJ pickups and a Pope 4 band sometime today that was kinda designed to be like Vic's main bass, but a few different things here n' there.

20. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004